Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:22 PM   #11

Hello again. RJ, I know what you write is true. I did my homework since I'm in the process of buying (or not) the Micro 105 VR. My answer did not imply I was not aware of the VR limitation in macrophotography and neither the fact that a tripod is mandatory. I just felt that the discussions was going toward: those "that will go for" stabilizatioon and those "that find it a gimmick for the dummies". As in many other aspects of our binary universe, some like and some don't. Some words in the posts made me feel like a dummy. I reacted to it. In a nutshell: VR, IS or OS are here to stay.Good news for my unsteady hands. Cheers.
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:13 PM   #12

Technique won't help you when you're bouncing around in a small boat trying to shoot Stellar sea lions nor would a tripod be of any use either.

Nikon 70-300mm VR at 300mm and 1/500s VR=Active
Attached Images

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:20 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Germain, don't take what was said there personally as I think it was said before the shaky hands situation was mentioned and also this wasn't something raised by the original poster who we are trying to advise.

No one has said don't use it at all but just don't expect it to do everything and from experience many of us have seen the use of it reducing the learning of the photographer.

I use 2 IS lenses at weddings, but only down to a point (this is when I can't shoot with flash). I still will go for fast primes when I can't get away with the IS lenses, as again shutter speed is not affect so people moving around will still cause a blur. It will always go back to having the right tool for the job, sometimes that is IS, sometimes it is a fast prime, sometimes a tripod, sometimes flash etc etc. I would hate someone to think that IS is going to solve all of their photography problems and then realised that in fact it didn't.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:29 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Technique won't help you when you're bouncing around in a small boat trying to shoot Stellar sea lions nor would a tripod be of any use either.

Nikon 70-300mm VR at 300mm and 1/500s VR=Active
Bob, I'm not sure that you have your numbers right on this one.

Exif shows the following.

Exposure Time = 1/1250"
F Number = F8
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 3200

Focal Length = 140mm
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 210mm

So I would guess that in the given example you would have been fine without IS. I would also think if a boat was rocking too much you would be bouncing the elements off of the limits as it tried to hold still.

Again I will say, no one is saying don't use it, but just be aware of the limitations as stated.

Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:03 PM   #15

Hi again friends. Am I taking this personnally? I hope not and sorry if it looked like that. Well...maybe just a little tiny bit!!! I have only one VR lens which is the Nikor 55-200. The little thing saves the day when lighting is poor mostly. I found out that I cannot shhot hand held under 1/60. Shaky hands...A friend shoots without problem at 1/10. I hate him for that!!! Anyway, I have to decide now between the Micro Nikor 105 VR and the new Micro Nikkor 60mm NO VR. It happens that I like the 105mm focal lenght. A friend has the Sigma 150mm micro. Works wonders on his Canon 40D but I have a bad history with Sigma lens. Two bad 18-200 OS units (traded for the 55-200) and one bad 70-300 unit traded for one good unit. So maybe IS is not the point that much. Thanks for all the nice input. This thread is most interesting. Germain
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:06 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Cool, just wanted to be sure you were not offended mistakenly and were feeling bad about things...... so that's all good. Right, how can we offend you deliberately?? LOL.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:27 PM   #17

Yep, you can offend me deliberately. I'm a big tough Québécois boy! And a VR freak too!!! Kidding. Germain.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:07 PM   #18
NHL

Karmin wrote:
Quote:
P.S. NHL member. As for the worst idea that is putting VR in a macro lens like the 105. Have you tried it? Have you shot with the 105 VR? Are you a photograph with a lot of experience with macrophotogaphy? Please read the 105 VR reviews. The addition of VR to a macro lens is well documented.Your comment made me jump. It implies that 105 owners are almost stupid people.
I have never called anyone name; However from my "limited" experience, macro has always required good lighting (all with the Sigma 150mm!!!):
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7
-> Once a subject is illuminated correctly the the need for VR is no longer required as the flash pulses are so fast they would freeze any handshake...

Can someone post some macro shots with VR only and compare to see how the contrast and saturation look like with no lights? :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:15 PM   #19
NHL

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
I do shoot from a boat too and I can't imagine anything more "rocky" than a 1-man kayak, but IF I did rely on IS I wouldn't have captured this bird taking flight:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote