Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:33 AM   #1

Default Old Nikon Lenses - useful on a DSLR?

I've got several a/f lenses I plan to use with whatever dslr I get (I've got a D2h on order, which might get delivered this century?), but I've also got lots of really old Nikon m/f lenses.

How useful are those older lenses on a dslr? It seems to me that if I don't mind manual focusing, they should be just fine. I used to use them a lot, in what now seems like a lifetime ago.

I remember reading someplace that "some" old Nikon lenses can damage a D100. I'm not sure why - maybe something to do with the auto exposure control? Does this also apply to D1h, D1x, and D2h cameras?

The two lenses I'm thinking of in particular are Nikon's old "perspective control" lens, and an even older f/1.1 lens for taking photos of black cats at midnight. It would be nice to be able to use them when/if I wanted to.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:57 PM   #2

I believe the higher end DLSR cameras from Nikon can use the older non-AF lenses. You are right the D100 can't. I wouldn't be surprised if the manual for the D2H is on their web site and you could look this up.

I gave up looking for the manuals on the USA site. I just go to the Nikon Europe site which had a fairly simple ftp site to navigate.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:48 PM   #3

After reading everything I could, I *think* the D2h (and the D1h) can use all the existing Nikon lenses. I've read so much, in so many places, that it's difficult to remember where I read what.

I'm real confused why the D100 can't use the "old" lenses. I read (here, I think) that they would damage the camera. I'll accept that, but it just doesn't make sense to me. What's there to damage, and why would Nikon make a camera that their older lenses would damage? I can understand that they won't work as well as the newer lenses, but if the lens mount is the same, I can't think of anything that would be hurt. Regardless, I'll accept it.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:50 PM   #4

http://www.aiconversions.com/index.html

This web site has information on Nikon F lens conversion for the newer auto focus bodies. There seems to be a problem with using the manual focus lens on an auto body.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 4:52 PM   #5

The mount may be the same, but the internal/external arrangements are different:

To the left is my 50mm f/1.8 AF-D bought recently. To the right is an old 24mm f/2.8 MF. The 24mm lens has an aperture ring that protrudes a bit past the level of those screws at the back of the lens. Notice that the the 50mm only has such protrusion for about a fifth of its circunference. Because of that ring on the 24mm lens, it hits a lever on the camera mount (I'm not sure what it does), and that's what prevents the lens from mounting. I was going to post about a website, but twcoffey beat me to it
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 7:39 PM   #6

there were conversions available a long time ago for the external pin coupling conversion. at the time and that was over 15 years ago it cost i believe $65 a lens. thats history. the lens will mount and work optically but metering info is not there. you will have to shoot manually and stop it down also by hand just like the old days. got your hand held meter ready?

what that does is the mechanical meter coupling from lens to body for your apeture. that is the highly sophisticated com port from lens to camera body for apeture info (f stop).
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 9:36 PM   #7

Are we saying that these older lenses will or will not fit on the D2h? Obviously they won't be "automatic" or anything like that, but are they useable on the camera at all?

I read where putting an older Nikon lens on a D100 could physically damage the camera. Does this apply to the D2h as well?
Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:07 AM   #8

go to the source. call nikon. get the right answer.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 2:03 PM   #9

Or download the manual for the D2H. I bet it comes with a chart that shows lens compatability.

ftp://ftp.nikon-euro.com/download/

I go the nikon Europe site, because the US one is a mess (last I looked at it.) I could never find the manuals there.

Interesting, I didn't see the D2h's manual there. Well, it was a good idea. Good luck finding them on the US site.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote