Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:21 PM   #1

Look at this antique lens case! It came with my new to me used 300mm lens. That is it beside the box. It must be ancient but really sharp. Weighs a ton...so does the box. I have no idea how old it is because there are so many Nikkor 300mm lenses that all sound alike. It works well. It came with 4 straps. i guess it takes 4 people to carry it comfortably. Any of you know anything about it?
Caryl
Attached Images

carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:59 AM   #2

I can't see any markings on the lens, so I really can't offer any input as to the lens' specs.

These older manual focus prime lenses typically are very sharp with minimal distortion. The only potential drawback, is that they are prone to CA, but then again your D300 will correct for that automatically.

I don't use any older MF lenses (they don't suit my shooting style), but wouldn't hesitate to use one if I needed to. Price wise, many can be had at a bargain. Plus, the size of yours will have the side benefit of providing good exercise from toting it around:lol:
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:54 PM   #3

If you look at the case you will see a model no ie CT-?? the CT303 is for the 300/2.8 AF, the CT-304 is for the AF-I 300/2.8 & the CT-305 (my case) is for the AF-S 300/2.8,

If it is prior these numbers ie CT-301 / 2 then the lesn is a veriant of the Manual focus lens (yours looks the later MF or first AF to me). Kind regards Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:01 PM   #4

It is a CT-303. Is that good? I really like it but it weighs a ton. It says auto focus but I doubt that will work on mmy D300. What do you know about this lens?
Thank you for the info
Caryl
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:04 AM   #5

Hello Caryl,

You have a Very good AF 300/2.8 there!!. It is the first generation AF lens so a bit slower & noisier than the later ones (which incorporate amotor, latterly Silent,within the lens)but will work acceptably well on your D300 (though not d40/60's). Given the crop DX factor of your camera it is effectively a 420mm f2.8 in 35mm terms:-). get a decent mono pod & get out shooting wildlife/sports ETC.

Kind regards Graham.

P.S The case is great for sitting/standing on for pics.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:07 AM   #6

Thank you Graham, for all that info. I have a good monopod and will give it a good test for the next few days. I love the way it looks. I did not realize the box could take that kind of abuse. It is a fun box.
Caryl