Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:07 AM   #11

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
So for now it's the 5D + 50mm f1.2 for just about everything.
Sweet!

Have you posted any samples here?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 2:04 PM   #12
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I use a KM5D.

My 85/1.4would be $1,300, and I don't have an 85/1.8, so I'm out of luck there.
Buy a used Minolta 85mm f/1.4. ;-)

Here's one at a good price:

Minolta 85mm f/1.4 AF Lens with hood and caps in EX+ condition for $789 at keh.com

That is a weak area in the current Sony lineup (lack of a dimmer and less expensive 85mm or 100mm lens right now, with the Sony Carl Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 sporting a hefty price tag, although it's still less expensive compared to the brighter Canon 85mm f/1.2L, and also focuses faster from reports I've seen, even when compared to the newest Canon lens model).

The Minolta 100mm f/2 AF lens is also great for portraits. I got mine in EX condition from Adorama for $269 if memory serves. I bought it just before the KM Maxxum 5D started shipping. . They've gone up a lot since then though. lol Hopefully, Sony will fill in the lens range with some less expensive primes in these focal lengths (85mm or 100mm) at some point.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:25 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
I use a KM5D.

My 85/1.4would be $1,300, and I don't have an 85/1.8, so I'm out of luck there.
Buy a used Minolta 85mm f/1.4. ;-)

Here's one at a good price:

Minolta 85mm f/1.4 AF Lens with hood and caps in EX+ condition for $789 at keh.com
Yeah, but Nikon has their 85/1.8 that costs about half that new!

I could spend ~$800 on a used Minolta 85/1.4 and hope that Sony doesn't come to its senses and start selling an 85/1.8 or 85/2.0 for ~$400. Or I could wait until they do and get one of those.

Which do you think I should do?

(I know this is off-topic, but JimC started it!)
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:33 PM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The Minolta 100mm f/2 AF lens is also great for portraits. I got mine in EX condition from Adorama for $269 if memory serves. ...
One of those just sold on eBay for $900, btw.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:50 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, but Nikon has their 85/1.8 that costs about half that new!
Yes, an f/1.8 is less expensive. But, an f/1.4 lens is brighter.

Issues like color, contrast and bokeh come into the equation, too. Use for the lens also comes into the equation. In general, most f/1.4 lenses tend to be a bit softer wide open compared to the f/1.8 and f/2.0 lenses in similar focal lengths. But, you don't necessarily want edge to edge sharpness for portraits.

Quote:
I could spend ~$800 on a used Minolta 85/1.4 and hope that Sony doesn't come to its senses and start selling an 85/1.8 or 85/2.0 for ~$400. Or I could wait until they do and get one of those.

Which do you think I should do?
Awwww... Just buy the Zeiss. :-)

Sony SAL-85F14Z Telephoto 85mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T* Autofocus Lens for $1,299.99 at B&H

I decided on a used Minolta 100mm f/2 for my needs as a general purpose lens, mostly looking at how sharp these lenses are at f/2 (and the Minolta 100mm f/2 beats the Minolta 85mm f/1.4 at f/2, based on MTF charts I've seen), since I knew I'd want to use one at wider apertures for indoor use without a flash in some conditions (live music, dance recitals, basketball, etc.). An extra stop could come in handy from time to time though.

Quote:
(I know this is off-topic, but JimC started it!)
You're the one that mentioned the cost of an 85mm f/1.4 for your Maxxum 5D. I was just pointing out a good deal on a used Minolta. ;-)

Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:35 PM   #16
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
If you had to pick between the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 and the 50mm f/1.4 which way would you go? Why?
I'd probably go with the 85mm f/1.4 for portraits if budget permits, if you're mostly doing head shots, and/or have the room to use it for half body or full length type shots. It's probably going to be a more useful focal range for many indoor events, too (dance recitals, plays, etc.), where you may not be able to get as close as desired with a 50mm). Of course, it's probably better to have both focal lengths in your bag for more versatility.

As for the f/1.4 versus f/1.8, the 85mm f/1.4 bokeh is probably going to be better for portraits compared to the 85mm f/1.8, based on some of the comments I've seen from users. Here's one thread on the subject with a comment from someone that's used both. You'll have to decide for yourself if the posts are credible:

http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/sho...322&page=2

You can find this debated a lot if you dig around:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&p...art=0&sa=N

Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:09 PM   #17
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Well, I just ordered both. Will I end up not using one of them or both? Or use them sparingly? Only time will tell. But they ARE "bargain bin" cheap. And good to have in one's bag. So compact. Tack sharp. Can't go wrong.
Oops. I missed your earlier post.

That's probably a good way to go, since you'll have more versatility (and the f/1.8 lenses won't weigh as much either).

Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:39 PM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Well, I just ordered both. Will I end up not using one of them or both? Or use them sparingly? Only time will tell. But they ARE "bargain bin" cheap. And good to have in one's bag. So compact. Tack sharp. Can't go wrong.
Oops.* I missed your earlier post.

That's probably a good way to go, since you'll have more versatility (and the f/1.8 lenses won't weigh as much either).
Thanks for your comments. But as another poster said I too doubt I would need the extra stop a 1.4 gives me. But, as I use both the 50 & 85 1.8's my opinion might change. Who knows. Could possibly end up buying a 85mm f/1.4 as well.

Should get both early this week. Have a great Sunday!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 8:10 AM   #19
Super Moderator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
So for now it's the 5D + 50mm f1.2 for just about everything.
Sweet!

Have you posted any samples here?

Not many - mostly post over at the Steves Forums Kollaborators group at flickr. (All from Steves are welcome.)

But seeing as we're completely off topic and the OP has made his decision, here are a few recent samples.

And I've just noticed this is now in the Nikon lenses forum (I'm not trolling - I like Nikon too honest!)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:53 AM   #20
NHL

Actually most of the 50mm are pretty old in the tooth in design - save for the new Canon 50 f/1.2L...

I would take a look @ the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 though, especially in the Nikon mount as it comes with HSM, and in case Nikon decide to upgrade their line-up: http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/392-sigma_50_14_canon

-> This is a super BIG lens and it would put all currently 50mm to shame as it is almost as large as my KM 85mm f/1.4 in size!!! :lol::-):G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote