Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:45 AM   #21

Nice shots Peripatetic!! Especially the first two in b/w. Admittedly I'm not big on b/w photos at the moment. But those two were nice. Did you post some on www.pbase.com?

My 1.8's should arrive any day now. Should be interesting using these fixed focal length lenses. Not having a choice in angle of view.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:00 AM   #22

peripatetic,

Very nice! And just as important, everyone seems to have had fun too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:50 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.

I have no pretensions about my photography. I take snaps of the family and stuff I want to see photographs of.

But I also try to make the best images I can and occasionally foist them upon friends and family, with the assurance that they don't have to hang it on the wall whenI come by to avoid offending me.

50mm on a FF sensor is a magic focal length for me. Wide enough for landscapes, narrow enough for portraits.

Ever notice how when you have a zoom lens you frame the shot by zooming, but with a prime you move, change angles, think, experiment? Makes MEtake much better pictures. YMMV of course.

As a side issue, only needing one lens means that I'm a lot less tied to the camera manufacturer. When my 5D wears out I will have a choice of Canon, Nikon or Sony as my next body. I will get back most of what I spent on my 50L on a trade-in.

No system tie-in. :-)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:29 PM   #24

Just got my 50 & 85 1.8's this morning. The 85 is made in Japan while the 50 (both AF D series btw) made in China. Was this the same for you guys? Who happen to own the same lenses. I mean I'm not that surprised about the 50 as it is I think Nikon's cheapest lens at $109.95 USD. Cost less than any of my CF cards LOL!! Yet it's supposed to be one of Nikon's sharpest lenses.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:21 PM   #25

For Portraits (both inside and outside) consider multi function portraits?

what would you recomment the most?

I have a D300 with the 18-200 lens kit and want to buy one more.

I am leaning towards more to the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 but wanted to have your opinions...

Ai AF Nikkor 50mm F1.4D

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM

------------
AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor ED 17-55mmF2.8G(IF) >> a little out of my reach
Sigma DC18-50mm F2.8EX MACRO

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] 【A16N II】

AT-X165 PRO DX 16-50mm F2.8(IF) ASPHERICAL
Zamzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:02 AM   #26

Zamzim wrote:
Quote:

I am leaning towards more to the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 but wanted to have your opinions...

Ai AF Nikkor 50mm F1.4D

------------

Google some test reports. Easy to find!

Having said that the Nikkor 50 1.4 is not all it's cracked up to be. Soft wide open iirc. If you "need" to get a 50 1.4 get the Sigma. It betters the one from Nikon and Canon. Possibly the best out there. But then who shoots wide open? Most people stop down a few stops any how. Most of the time.

Welcome to the "D300 cult" btw !!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:09 AM   #27
Super Moderator

The thing is that there isn't really such a thing as a portrait lens.

Excluding super-telephoto and super-wide and any lens can be used to take portraits depending on the effect you are trying to achieve.

In a studio you would most often be shooting stopped down at f8 or so, at which point even your 18-200 is fairly sharp. You might be shooting tight to exclude background or wide to include it, or somewhere in the middle.

The most important thing with portraits (as all photography) is lighting.

Amateurs tend to fixate on short-mid telephotos with wide apertures and call those "portrait" lenses. Somewhere in the 35mm equivalent focal length of 70-150mm.

So on DX the 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 get called upon, similarly a fast 85 or 100 is often used. The wide aperture is thought essential to throw the background out of focus, but such effects can be achieved in many ways, and professional portrait photographers make use of that technique far less frequently than amateurs.

Pros concentrate on lighting, amateurs on lenses. So for "multi-function portraits" the best thing you can do is get yourself a speedlight or two and learn how to use them.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:05 PM   #28

While I agree that light is very important to "Pros" I'd add it should be important to any one aiming to get a keeper. It is about the light. Yet at the same time I know that amateurs and "Pros" alike Do indeed think about the lens used. Jay Maezel (hope I spelled his last name right) always carries around a 50 1.4. He's one of the top photographers in the US.

In the end it comes down to your useage. Something you learn over time. Picking up the odd lens here and there. Some you continue to use consistently some less. Others not any more. I think most of us develop a style and a preference for what we prefer to shoot. And that dictates the gear we end up using and buying in the future.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:55 PM   #29

Thank you all for the advise.

Now i am hesitating between to get a 50 1.4 and perhaps something else later on

or a 18-50 Sigma 2.8.

The thing is i already have a1 18-200m so would that be not much of a difference from the Sigma?

Zamzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 7:15 AM   #30

Zamzim wrote:
Quote:

Ai AF Nikkor 50mm F1.4D

------------

The Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 is a very nice lens but is also quite expensive. If it is too expensive for your budget then the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 and Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 are decent alternatives for use in lower light levels. Of those three the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 seems to be the most popular based on the numerous reviews and comparisons you can find on the web.

I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for my D300 but had to send it back to Tamron for calibration. It focuses correctly now but is still soft at f/2.8. I also have a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 which is way better than the Tamron a f/2.8. Comparing a prime with a zoon is not fair but if you like sharp images with a shallow DOF the 50mm f/1.4 is the way to go. On the other hand, if you can live with slight softer images, the zooms are very versatile.

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote