Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:15 PM   #31

Hello FrankD,

Fellow Canuck (I'm staying in LA temporarily till my new house is done in Toronto). What are the chances. And welcome to the "D300 cult"!

I have the 17-55 on my D300 most of the time. High quality, sharp images and versatile focal range. Though, I'm still trying to get my hands on a Tokina 11-16. Every one has this lens backordered. Go figure.

Not sure if I would bother buying a 50 1.4 since I just bought a 1.8. Probably not. As I said people using primes rarely use them wide open any how. And the 1.8 are sharper. Perhaps I might try the Sigma 50 1.4 should I one day decide to try a cough-cough-Canon. The upcoming 5D MkII sounds interesting.

Oh and getting a prime forces us to think more about our framing and composition. Good luck finding your prime Zamzim.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:30 AM   #32

Thank you very muhc for the comments and advice.

i decided to get a 50mm 1.4d mainly cos it is prime and cheaper than the zooms 18-50mm and I already have a 18-200...

But again, i am sure collecting lens never ends )

Will try taking the great pics and will post them up!
Zamzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:09 PM   #33

I have the f1.8 85mm and LOVE it..... outdoor - gig - some studio work.

I picked up the f1.4 50mm second hand for about $200 Aussie - LOVE it... indoor / studio portraits

and I also picked up a Voigtlander 48mm f1.4 manual focus lens which is bloody magnificent ... I have yet to use it in studio work, but will be doing so this week...

basically, with my 3 cameras... D2x, D300 & D700.... I keep one D700 with the 85mm and the D300 fitted with the 50mm which amounts to almost the same magnification in both.... if I need some more magnification 105mm or less..true 50mm ... I swap lenses...
BigGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:49 AM   #34

I always wondered, why would you have three bodies?

Zamzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:31 PM   #35

Zamzim wrote:
Quote:

Cause if you make your living from photography (wedding, studio, etc) the client doesn't care if your camera is malfunctioning/broken, etc. So you need backups in case something goes wrong, which it eventually will if you shoot as much as the pros do.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:03 PM   #36

Yeah I have a 50mm and a 70/200 and a 24/70 but strangely the lens I use is the 105mm macro. I just love that lens!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:56 AM   #37

Zamzim wrote:
Quote:

I've got 2 and will probably pick up a third at some point in time. As was said, backup for equipment failure during a job is the best reason. Also, carrying a couple bodies, each with a different lens is easier than switching lenses sometimes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:25 PM   #38

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Zamzim wrote:
Quote:

I've got 2 and will probably pick up a third at some point in time.* As was said, backup for equipment failure during a job is the best reason.* Also, carrying a couple bodies, each with a different lens is easier than switching lenses sometimes.*
That's partly why I am vaguely considering a 2nd camera body already. To keep a zoom on one and a wide-zoom on the body i'd be using most. Right now the upcoming Canon 5D Mk2 looks very attractive. Waiting to read about the test results. That and it can function as a HD camcorder. Recording in 1080p. And you can use the over 60 odd Canon lenses available. No need to carry a HD camcorder/accessories on trips.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote