Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:53 AM   #1

Hey guys, I am brand new to DSLRS, and hope to purchase my first Nikon D40 or D60 within the next week. My question is, what would be a good lens to purchase after I get my camera? Also, what types of shooting can I do with the stock lens, or what is it good for? I plan on taking pictures of people, not portraits, but regular scenes. I'm a film major so Ill be shooting a lot of scenery, locations, as well as people in action. I know the basics about shooting, camera operation and digital photography terms, apature, shutter speed, all the basics. Although differences in lens's has me a little confused. In addition to reccomendations, a quick rundown or a link to an informative page on lenses would be great!
Thanks.
IMLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:17 AM   #2

The kit lens is pretty good and from what you say, it should probably suit your purposes nicely. Unless you have something specific in mind, I think you should wait until the kit lens won't do something you want. The kit lens on the Nikons you mentioned has an angle of view from 76° to 29°, which isa good range to start with. Only you would know (or learn) if you need to go wider or longer.

You mention that you will be shooting "people in action", so I caution you that the entry level Nikons (D40/D40X/D60) have probably the worst autofocus system for that. If you're talking about sports or action, I think you might want to rethink your choice, but if you're just talking about people walking around I think you'll be ok.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:34 AM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

The D40, D40x and D60 models are somewhat unique in the Nikon lineup, because they require lenses with built in focus motors if you want to use Autofocus.

Other Nikon dSLR models don't have that limitation, because they have a focus motor built into their bodies. So, that means your lens choices are more limited with the models you're considering. For example, if you wanted a brighter prime (fixed focal length versus zoom) lens like a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, you couldn't Autofocus with it, since this lens doesn't have a focus motor built in.

But, lens choice is improving all the time, with Tamron, Sigma and others starting to offer more of their lenses with focus motors built in for use with these cameras.

What you'll want to do is make sure that any lens you buy for one of these Nikons has a built in focus motor. With Sigma lenses, that means you'll want lenses with HSM (Hypersonic Motor) focusing. With Nikkor lenses, you'll want lenses with AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) focusing. With Tamron lenses, you'll need to look carefully at their descriptions and make sure it says that a focus motor is built in for Nikon (and you'll see some of the same model lenses with and without a focus motor in the Tamron lineup now).

The Autofocus Speed really isn't too bad with these models... they just don't have an AF sensor with as many focus points compared to some of the other Nikon bodies. But, many shooters only use the Center Point anyway. For subject tracking across the frame, that can be limiting. It depends on the subject/conditions and how you use the camera.

I'll move this Nikon Lenses Forum, where you may get more input from Nikon shooters with tips on lens choices.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:15 PM   #4

OK wow, glad I found out about that little tid bit. Since I'm pretty much brand new to this I think I'll stick with this stock lens that it comes with. Although if I wanted to go wide angle/ telephoto with a lens, what are my best choices among the Auto Focus - S (Does the S stand for servo?).
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:29 PM   #5
Administrator

AF-S means Silent Wave Focusing. It's just Nikon's term for the same type of focus system Canon calls USM (Ultra Sonic Motor), Sigma calls HSM (Hypersonic Motor), Sony calls SSM (Supersonic Motor), Pentax calls SDM (Supersonic Drive Motor), and Olympus calls SWD (Supersonic Wave Drive). ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_motor

As for wide angle and telephoto lens options, you'll need to give members more info than that to help out. ;-) You've got many lens choices now.

What I generally suggest is that a new dSLR owner stick with the budget kit lenses that camera manufacturers bundle in camera kits for a while. That way, they can get a better feel for where they're running into any limitations, without spending a lot of money up front. Then, they can make better informed decisions on what may work best for them later.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:36 PM   #6

Ok, cool! Thanks for the info.