Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Hello everybody,

I have the Nikon D70 and am looking forward to buying the new D90.
The only concern I have is: will this camera be compatible with all lenses or only the Nikkor DX ones, as for the D40 and D60?

Thank you!
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:45 PM   #2
NHL

The D90 has the 'screw' drive in the body:

-> and should work will all lenses including older or 3rd-party lenses that do not have motor in them...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:25 PM   #3

The D90 is compatible with all nikon mount lenses

1) DX AF NIKKOR: All functions possible
2) D-/G-type AF NIKKOR (excluding IX NIKKORlenses): All functions possible (excluding PC Micro- NIKKOR)
3) AF NIKKOR other than D-/G-type (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions except 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
4) AI-P NIKKOR: All functions except Autofocus, 3D-Color Matrix Metering II possible
5) Non-CPU AI NIKKOR: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure modes A and M but exposure meter does not function. Electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is 5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value display supported if user provides

Unlike the D40 and D60, The D90 does have a focusing motor so their should not be any issues with your Sigma lenses
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:55 AM   #4

Thank you for the precise and quick reply!
Then I'll go for the D90
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:53 AM   #5

loris wrote:
Quote:
The only concern I have is: will this camera be compatible with all lenses or only the Nikkor DX ones, as for the D40 and D60?

Thank you!
Just to clarify, the issue with the D40/D60 does not relate to the lens being 'DX'. That is just indicating that the image provided by the lens is meant for the smaller sensor size (DX) rather than the full frame sensor. Rather, the issue is whether there is an AF-S focus motor in the lens. Most DX lens are also AF-S and thus work to auto-focus on the D40/D60. But, there are some lenses (e.g. the 24-70mm f2.8G IF-ED AF-S) which are not DX but have AF-S and thus will still auto-focus on the D40/D60.

Also, the non-AF-S lenses will still work just fine on the D40/D60 as long as you use manual focus. It is only the auto-focus feature which won't work.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:00 AM   #6

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I ordered the D90, should arrive this monday. I'll see how good the combination with the Sigma 18-200mm OS lens is.