Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1

Does anyone know whether you can get away with having two filters on the 18-200mm vr lens asI am thinking of getting a polarizing filter andI already have a UV filter on .

I am wondering whether I would get away with two especially at the wide end.

Is there anyone out there who has two fitted?

I dont fancy having to keep swapping them around.

Thanks
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2008, 2:22 PM   #2

I wouldn't. Stacking filters, especially if they aren't thin will typically result in problems, especially vignetting (especially at shorter focal lengths) and adding to the likelihood of flare. Also, optically, the 18-200 is not the best lens (not awful, just not great), and stacked filters will likely worsen these problems, especially in sharpness. Honestly, I'd ditch the uv filter anyway...it does nothing for your images, as digital sensors aren't as sensitive to uv light. I understand the "protection" line of thought, but I lost protective filters years ago, when I realized i had never damaged a lens or filter. I still haven't. My stuff is all insured, which makes me even less worried about possible damage.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:15 PM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't. Stacking filters, especially if they aren't thin will typically result in problems, especially vignetting (especially at shorter focal lengths) and adding to the likelihood of flare. Also, optically, the 18-200 is not the best lens (not awful, just not great), and stacked filters will likely worsen these problems, especially in sharpness. Honestly, I'd ditch the uv filter anyway...it does nothing for your images, as digital sensors aren't as sensitive to uv light. I understand the "protection" line of thought, but I lost protective filters years ago, when I realized i had never damaged a lens or filter. I still haven't. My stuff is all insured, which makes me even less worried about possible damage.
Thanks for the info. I already get slight vignetting at the wide end on wide apertures.

Shooting at f8 usually gets rid of it but I wouldn't want to make it worse.

Cheers
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote