Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:33 AM   #1

OK, I suppose this is the best place to post. Basically, I have a Nikon D40 and would like to get a bit more out of the 55-200 lens I've got. However, I can't decide if I should get a teleconverter or a basic screw-on lens.

Basically this...
http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Teleconv...359&sr=8-1

Or this...
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-5...082&sr=8-3

Besides price, I like the lens because I could also use it on my Panasonic, which also has 52mm threads (432mm with a 2x ) But I'm not sure how the quality would compare to a teleconverter. I know the incoming light's drooped a fair amount with the teleconverter, so I guess it would be similar with the lens, perhaps with some distortion too? I don't mind having to use a tripod as long as there's not a tremendous drop in quality. Hehe, when you go from a 36-432mm camera to an 18-55/55-200, it's kind of rough getting those far-off shots you're used to capturing!

I'm not sure what I would purchase, but I'm not really looking to spend over $75. But I also don't want to get something that's just complete crap :P
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:45 AM   #2

I'm not sure you would be happy with the quality of either of these solutions. Your current lens is equivalent to a 300 so your not really that far from what you had.

The screw on lens will work but my experience with them has yielded very soft results. Softer and with less contrast than I can use for anything more than a snapshot.

The teleconverter is about the same but with better results. It will not autofocus on your camera but I have not had good luck with the autofocus on mine either. The 2x will also make your lens a 600mm (equivalent). More than you had. The only teleconverter I keep in my bag is a 1.4x and I use it with fast primes with usable results.

I would recommend you get a Nikon 70-300 G. They are about $75 used at KEH.com, I just looked. Still won't autofocus on the D40 but will give you very good results out to 450mm equivalent. I have the D version and keep it in my bag for the shots you are looking for.I have also had 5 Nikon bodies since I purchased that lens over ten years ago.

I just don't think you would use or be happy with the results from the two solutions you have here. I think the 70-300 G is a better investment for the long run and you would use it with good results. Good luck.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:35 AM   #3

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...ternal%20focus

What about something like this? I'm willing to spend the money for something with this range if it would autofocus. Ooor... would the lens mentioned be "better" because it's slightly faster.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:16 AM   #4

I don't think that one will autofocus on a D40 either. But I think it will be a better deal than the screw on lens or the teleconverter. I think the Internal Focus refers to the parts are just inside and the lens size remains the same overall.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:16 AM   #5

After rummaging around the sites for a bit, I stumbled across a Sigma 70-300 lens with a "rough focus" for $19. Fingers crossed it's primarily with the auto mechanism and it works well in manual :G
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6

I have purchased many products from them and have always found their assesment of an items condition to be far more critical than mine would be.

Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:57 AM   #7

Hehe, that's good to know. I shall make a post once the stuff arrives. Besides, for $17 (yeah, I made a typo before) you really can't go wrong. I also grabbed a flash (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531661064.htm) seeing as it had pretty decent marks and apparently was fully compatible with the D40.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:34 PM   #8

Wow, many thanks for the link to the site, ReneB3! My Sigma 70-300 just arrived today and I'm quite impressed with the quality. To be a "bargain" it's in quite good shape. And the "rough focus" doesn't affect the performance. The ring still turns smoothly, it's just kind of noisy. Now maybe on a camera that could actually auto-focus, it may be different.

The test photos I've taken so far look fine. Perhaps tonight I'll see how a moon shot looks in comparison to my old Panasonic.

edit - ...if it wasn't a new moon tonight!