Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1

I've never used a more current Sigma 70-300 lens, but I just happend to find this one for $17 on KEH so I figured I'd give it a shot. So far it's been fine, but as soon as I got it, I realized it had two sets of dummies on it where switches would normally be. Being the curious person I am, I decided to pop the one off that had screws on it (I'm pretty sure it's where the macro switch normally's located) Inside there appears to be metal (contacts) along the barrel, then a rut to stop the focus from going too far. The peice I removed had a part that went along this rut.

Since nothing was stoping the focus now, I decided to see what would happen if I went slightly beyond the marked areas. Surprisingly enough, it seemed to have a sligtly closer focal range and everything seemed to be relativly clear. Needless to say, I'm still a bit scared to try this too much as I'd rather not mess up this lens...

I suppose one thing I'm wondering...how exactly does the macro switch work on other versions of this lens... Does it allow you to turn the focus slight farther or is there something else going on inside.
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:15 PM   #2

So I see you got your lens. How close was their description?
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:46 PM   #3

They were far more critical, as you said, about the condition than they needed to be. At least using manual focus, I can't tell a darn thing's wrong with it. It make a bit of noise, but it's far from being "rough". And the rest of the lens, to be "bargin" looks great. It was a tad dirty when it arrived, but everything cleaned up nicely. The glass looks fine as well.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:38 PM   #4

My only other experience with "BGN" rated stuff has been that some or all of the accessories that may have come with the item are missing. Like a lens cap, power cord or stuff like that. I have never been disappointed. How are the pictures with it?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:48 PM   #5

The focus seems like it might be a touch off... Even once I get that little dot in the viewfinder, things still look a tad off... I wonder if it was dropped somehow and knocked something off. Perhaps that's why it's a bit noisy as well...

Anyway, here are a couple pictures I took today with it. All were free-handed and manually focused using my D40.

Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:28 AM   #6

I can see an area of good focus in each of the shots. So maybe if you stop down to f8ish you can get more in focus. Another way to check is focus on one item in the center of your lawn and see whatkind of depth of field your gettingby looking at the detail in the grass in front of and behind your subject. And you would see if your subject is in focus. Maybe its not focusing on what you think its focusing on.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:28 AM   #7

Eh, I'm not sure... It very well could be me as most of my subjects are fairly small, making it rather difficult to focus in on. Perhaps I'll take the lens out a bit today with a tripod and see what I can capture, since freehanding obviously isn't an option.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:52 AM   #8

For $17, I really can't complain, eh? This is a 100% crop taken using the 70-300 lens on my D40. I also have a cheap Quantaray multicoated UV filter on the end. I have to protect my investment you know!