Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:14 PM   #21

Hi - I just came in to ask another question and see there has been some action on this thread. I will tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed having that 18-200VR lense when we were on our European trip. There were just too many photo ops where I would not have had time to change the lense. As a relative beginner the images are fine to me. I do shoot in raw and use Photoshop and Lightroom so I can do a quick fix if needed. As far as the camera being heavy goes - yes it is a bit but I got one of those sling bags on Craigslist for next to nothing and used it as my purse as well as a camera bag. When the camera is supported by the bag until you actually need it I found it was not that heavy. It worked for me - but then I am not a professional - but I am picky and I am pleased with the shots I got.

PS I sold my 55-200 on Craigslist for $250.00 the same night I listed it.

Last edited by Shari; Jul 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:20 AM   #22

I just got back from a trip to South Dakota and because of limited space only took my D700 and a 24-120 and a fisheye. I missed many shots because the 120 was too short. Next year the D300 goes with the 18-200.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:30 AM   #23

Hi Sarah - I just noticed your post on the VR18-200 working well with the new Nikon D-5000. I have been satisfied with the lense on my D40X but now I am wondering!!! Could you please tell me the up-grades from the D40X to the D-5000 and if you feel it is worth upgrading. I would not be using the camera to take video which I know is one of the features - but other than that - any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Shari

PS - I probably should have asked this in the DSLR Nikon thread.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:45 AM   #24

here's a comparison and two reviews:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...n_d90&show=all

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d5000-review

__________________________________________________ _________________
If the D60 and the D90 had a baby it would be the d5000...I look at it as a D60 with a d90 sensor which is definitely a good thing...but like your d40x...any lenses would require a motor if you want to focus in automatic...the d90 has a built in auto focus motor

I have a d70 and a d40....same 6mp sensor but the older d70 has the built in motor
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:43 PM   #25

Shari-

The Nikon D-5000 uses the same imager as the D-90. Therefore, it has excellent high ISO capabilities. That is the feature that I wanted. The D-5000 does not have all of the D-90's features, but they were enough for me to make the change. I saved money by buying the body only, and have been very pleased.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:26 PM   #26

Thank you Gregg and Sarah. Gregg - on reading the comparisons I think I should stick with what I have for the time being. Spend some time really learning the camera and I am sure by the time I have mastered that - there will be a newer model out
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:48 PM   #27

Shari-

You are very correct. There will always be a new model out there. I still use my Nikon D-40X as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:04 PM   #28

and if you buy lenses for your nikon now...they'll work on future nikon models

i could care less about video and live view and a swing out screen....but

that means the only reason for me to upgrade....

the d5000....higher iso's (which is a pretty good reason)
the d90....higher iso's, faster response, and lens compatability

the d90 body can be had on ebay new for about $790

I'm not in any rush.....I'm poor...and

I can improve my photos with better lenses for now...I really want the nikon 16-85mm vr one day (It's $600, ugh!) or maybe the sigma 17-70 (very sharp lens) and using an external flash if i should need one

by the way Shari....on www.dpreview.com you can compare any models side by side like I did...it's one of the menu options on the top left of the home page

but when it comes down to it....it's usually the photographer that makes the most difference between a bad or a good shot and not just having the next best thing on the market

Last edited by gregg; Jul 20, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:34 PM   #29

Thanks Gregg. Between cameras, lenses, computers, printers, software - I should think about going back to work!!! Actually they say I do have an eye for a good shot and I enjoy playing around with Photoshop and Lightroom so I will be content with that for now. A year from now there will be all sorts of new toys!!