Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1

I am Canadian so the 18-200 VR in a retail store is $799. plus tax. I have checked on Craigslist and have found four or five 18-200 VR lenses. The prices range from $600. to $770. All state fairly new or new. All state that comes with box and warranty. I checked Nikon site. Their warranty states that to take advantage of it you have to have the original receipt and be the original owner.

My question is: Is it safer to buy from dealer with full warranty or are the chances of purchasing on Craigslist and having no problems with the lense fairly decent? Thanks anyone.

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:07 AM   #2

Hi Shari,
I have purchased many things used online (craigslist, Ebay, etc) and have never had any problems. However, I usually will only do it if the savings are substantial over paying retail. In the case of lenses, your right the warranty is usually non transferable. And the prices you mention are not that far off from what you can get that lens for from one of Canada's large camera retailers....plus that extra $100.00 to $200.00 buys you a great warranty and some peace of mind.
Henry's has it on right now for $749.00 with free shipping and cause it ships from Toronto you only pay GST for a total of $787.00. Just my two cents, good luck.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3

Shari wrote:
Quote:
I am Canadian so the 18-200 VR in a retail store is $799. plus tax. I have checked on Craigslist and have found four or five 18-200 VR lenses. The prices range from $600. to $770. All state fairly new or new. All state that comes with box and warranty. I checked Nikon site. Their warranty states that to take advantage of it you have to have the original receipt and be the original owner.

My question is: Is it safer to buy from dealer with full warranty or are the chances of purchasing on Craigslist and having no problems with the lense fairly decent? Thanks anyone.

Shari
If you have a look at Ken Rockwell's site he has a section on the 18-200 regarding durability.http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/182...-drop-test.htm.I myself agree with the previous post, I would pay a bit extra for peace of mind.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:49 AM   #4

I actually bought the 18-200VR as my first lens for the D300 when it was first released and I'm still amazed at what this combo can produce. I bought it new because I wanted that warranty although I would seriously consider other less expensive lenses that are gently used. I sold off probably a dozen older Nikon lenses that were pre-AI/AF and they were all mint and the buyers (USA, Europe, and down under) were thrilled with the condition and performance. But buying something that has not been on the market that long... I'd probably say you should consider new.
drgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:49 PM   #5

Thank you. Santa brought me a brand new one with a warranty. Talked the dealer down a bit and I have 15 days to make sure I like it or it can be returned. I think I will be very happy.

Shari
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:35 AM   #6

You are very lucky in Canada having a dealership who will let you try something for 15 days and return it if you dont like it. The only things I have seen over here need to be returned unopened if you change your mind, not quite the same thing. I mentioned this to a dealer recently and he replied that people get stuff to photograph weddings etc and then return them and that's why he wont do it. Understandable I think.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:57 PM   #7

Yes we are lucky. I took back a Sigma I did not like when I first got the camera. No problem. Unfortunately (even tho I live it) it just keeps snowing in Vancouver and I have not had much chance to get out and try the lense.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:07 AM   #8

while I can't speak for canada, here in the US to get something serviced under a manufacturer's warranty requires you to have a receipt from an official dealer. If they claim on Craigslist that it has a warranty card, ask them for a copy of the receipt from where they bought it. You do not ever need a warranty card to get service under a warranty, but must have a receipt. The seller can even black out the price or have a gift receipt from a US store (dealer).

I once bought a canon s3 for $200 on craigslist...It was still in the box (opened) and he told me at was under warranty but could not provide me with a receipt. That's ok...it worked great. I later re-sold it on ebay and upgraded to a nikon D40 at a US retailer.

I saw a used sigma 18-200mm OS for $300...on a tight budget, I offered him $190, not really expecting anything...a week later he emailed me back accepting my offer.

The lens works great!

(see avatar on the left)
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote