Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:25 PM   #1

I just purchased the Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm VR kit lens. It's a decent enough lens for now, but once the weather gets nicer here in Chicago I am going to want to start taking pictures of flowers,landscapes, and wildlife.I want to keep the cost to a reasonable level (not willing to go much over $500per lens) and most likely need the VR as I don't have the most steady of hands and I am not lugging around a tripod. I also like what thezoomsprovide in multiple focal lengths. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
makins117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:41 PM   #2
csd

I'm sure folks could suggest lots of great lenses (go for a Macro, go for the Tokina 11-16mm for wide angle, or the Nikon 70-300mm/VR for a longer zoom, etc.) - if I were you though - I would spend some time shooting - then you will get a feel for what you need depending upon what you are missing (can get back far enough - go wider angle, macro, - need further - longer zoom, etc.) and can ask for more focussed help selecting a specific type of lense.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

csd is correct. It's a common thing when any of us get a dSRL to want more lenses and other accessories, and to save me reinventing the wheel here is a post I made a week or so ago for another member asking almost the same thing.

"It will really depend what you want to shoot that you can't currently do well due to kit limitations. So something I might choose might not be good for you and vise versa. One area that might be worth looking at is an external flash as for both indoor and outside shots this can give you a real lift in quality. People don't use flash enough in outdoor portrait shots and they are losing out as the sky is generally over exposed when getting the subject correct.

So that is one option to seriously consider, but as I say think about what you want to be able to do, where you want to take your photography next. There is little point in just buying a lens because you don't have an area covered currently.

My photography is diverse so I have the following lenses,

Sigma 12-24mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Canon 24-105mm f4 IS L, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.8 and Canon 85mm f1.8.

Now guess how many of these areused for 95% of my photography currently???

Only 2, the 24-105is my walk around lens (on a 5D usually) and then the 70-200isused at weddings, events on a 2nd body (usuallythe 1D mkIII).So out of the2 probably 85% of shots are done with the 24-105mm. Why is this? It is a top quality piece of glass covering a good range and giving super sharp results.

The 120-300mm f2.8 has had a fair bit of use but in the past6 months I've not shot much sport which is why this isn't seeing the light of day.

Anyway, my reason for showing you this is to point out thatthere is no point inspending your heardearned money if you are not going to make use of the lenses or other equipment you buy."

So to conclude, as a new user I would suggest you spend a lot more time with your camera and really get used to what you can get from it. There is so much potential with what you have and as you spend time shooting you will really find the areas you have a passion for and if any of these are restricted due to your lens. You will already be able to addequately shoot flowers and landscapes with this setup. Wildlife is the area where the 105 is not likely to be long enough and this is where you will want to spend some money for getting good shots. Every time I shoot wildlife I come to the conclusion that I need even more range and even 300mm is not often enough.

These were taken with my 120-300mm f2.8 lens and a 2 x tele converter so I was shooting at 600mm and for a lot of the shots I would have liked more range. So be aware of the limitations and also how much this silly hobby can take out of your pocket

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:22 AM   #4

After taking a few hundred photos in the last week I can already tell I am going to want a longer focal length than 105mm. The kit lens seems fine enough for indoor shots of family and things that aren't too far away, but after trying to take shots of far away objects outside and getting close enough to see them just isn't happening. Any recommendations on a higher zoom lens that doesn't make me poor? I have heard some good things about the 70-300 VR lens, but I know there are more out there to consider from both Nikon and Tamron. Thanks in advance for the input.
makins117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Good that you have taken the time to see where you needed other lens options. This is where I will let the Nikon guys take over to answer this as I'm not sure how well the 70-300 Nikon stacks up in real use.

Check out http://pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens...none&res=6for some samples with this lens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:52 PM   #6

Hello Makins117! I love my 70-300 vr! Here is a sample out my kitchen window of a bird about ten feet away. 240mm F 5.6 1/200 with my Nikon D-50

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote