Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:16 AM   #1
hmm

I received the D80 over a year ago and have been using the kit lens which has been fine but now I would like a new lens and I am trying to decide what the best investment would be. I have spent too many hours on forums and google so I ask knowing that I probably will get 2 or 3 different answers but I appreciate them all:lol:.

I am looking at the Nikon 50mm/ 1.4 AFs or 1.8 D(I know the price differs drastically but if it worth it I would rather put the $100 toward the 1.4 but if not than 1.8 works for me) OR the Nikon 35/2 with the reasoning being the 50mm might be too tight for the shots I will want (as I read on the D80 it will be more like 75mm).

I have the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens and someday will get a 18-200 or another zoom but I think first I want a prime lens- especially for low light. I mainly shoot my 3 girls, events, family, trips, and landscape- well I guess that is a lot of different things- my girls being the most photographed of all the previous stated.
All to say, where would my money be best spent?
I was also looking at the Sigma 30/1.4 but reviews seem mixed.
Thanks a bunch!

hmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:02 AM   #2

I don't find 50mm a real useful lens. It's a bit long for indoors, and a bit short for outdoors. I personally don't think the f1.4 is worth the premium...f1.4 yields really shallow DOF and the lens is notoriously soft wide open. I typically use flash indoors, so the extra stop doesn't excite me anyway. Bear in mind my opinion of value vs cost is based on me not using the lens all that much.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:10 AM   #3

I do use the 50mm 1.4 on both a DX and FX. I bought it for my D80 several years ago as a walk around lens that forced me to compose like I did in the day when it was the only lens I had. Didn't work out, like RJ said, to long inside to short outside. But it's real value to me was as a portrait lens for tight head shots. That wide open 1.4 and soft feel is perfect for that type of picture. Especially when rendered in B&W. it is also very good outside when the sun goes down. Now on my D700 it works like I expected it to.

Have you considered the 55-200? It is inexpensive and performs well. I have the 18-200 and use it on my D300 90% of the time. But it's expensive and heavy. I don't see any difference in the photo quality either. I'm sure the reviews will say otherwise but in the real world, about the same. The only advantage is you don't have to swap or carry an extra lens, that's the only reason I bought it and still use it for some events.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:06 PM   #4
hmm

Thanks, maybe the 50-200 is a better option- my only issue is the apperture. I want one that can take decent low light pics but then with the zoom $$$$$$. But if it is better to save than that is what I would like to know.
Thanks!
hmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:36 AM   #5

Nikon just announced a 35 f1.8 that will retail for around $200. This is a much more useful focal length, and is more reasonably priced than the 50 f 1.4. Not sure when it will hit the street though.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:07 PM   #6

According to the press release on dpreview they should be available mid-March. Your price looks quite low compared to the European prices.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote