Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 7, 2009, 7:57 PM   #1

I purchased a Nikon AF 85mm F1.8 from an Ebay seller and

finally had time to check it out this weekend. Someone please tell me how to work the sucker. I finally got itto work in auto but Im scared to move it much.

See in the f stop part -bottom?Is that part suppose to be able to movein manual? Its tight and I don't want to touch or push or anything in ignorance and break something. Is that dial at the bottom I belive its the f-stop suppose to movelike the focus moves?

16 11 8 5.6 4 2.81.8

mine looks like its pointed on the 16. and any light twisting isn't moving it.
Attached Images

learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:23 PM   #2

Did you set the lens aperture ring to f/16? You should be able to lock it there.

I was considering getting one of these - please share your thoughts on this lens once you get it going.

F.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3

Nope Frank it was like that when I took it out of the box... It won't change.

Here's what I can and can't do.

In auto it will focus and shoot fine. But I can't adjust the object close or move back off it ...

In manual it will fire as well but again I can't find where I can adjust in the viewfinder the object move close or back ...

duh mode

Edited:

Oooooooo I learned something awhile ago... lol Prime lense means I have to move up or back I am soo use to lenses that I zoom into and this isn't a zoom..Dooohhhhh but still wondering how to move that 16 dial thingy.... anyone???

Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:34 PM   #4

Debbie, from your description of the lens, it seems to be okay. The aperture ring doesn't need to be moved from the 16, ever, unless you want to use the lens in a stop-down meter mode, which went out with the dinosaurs. The ring is hard to move because it locks at the f/16 position.This allows the camera to meter at the lens' largest aperture. Then, as the camera takes the picture, the lens stops down to the required aperture. If you can't make it turn about the lens barrell then it could be stuck, in which case it will still work. All this said, if I understand you correctly...:?. If I have wandered off course, or mis-understood the problem, let me know...

Robert

ps- On the newest lenses, like the kit lens that came with your camera, the aperture ring is non-existent. So if your 85 f/1.8 is giving you good pictures, I wouldn't worry too much about that ring. " If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:54 AM   #5

wahooo,

sounds good tome... it aint broke.. it aint broke ... its doing great in auto.

I think my manual shooting has some issues but mostly the loose nut behind the lense! Frank and Hawk thanks a bunch!!!

Frank here's an auto shot of some deer on my wall.

top is using kit lens 18-55

bottom is using the 85 f1.8 both were shot with just the basic camera flash

I noticed the f 1.8 dark room shots are coming out lighter than the 18-55 Im sure due to the f 1.8. Makes me want that 18 -200 f2.8 sooo badly..... maybe after I gradjuate to full manual mode )

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:51 AM   #6

Nice shots - thanks for posting.

FYI: If you go to the 1.8 mark on your lens aperture ring you should see a small slider switch. If the red and white dots are lined up the aperture is locked. Move the slider forward to unlock the aperture. As Hawgwild has already said if it's working then it doesn't really matter.

Good luck and enjoy your new lens!

F.

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Makes me want that 18 -200 f2.8 sooo badly..... maybe after I gradjuate to full manual mode )
Except that lens doesn't exist, and would probably require a suitcase to carry if it did.

There are some pretty nice 3rd party lenses that have a constant F2.8 aperture. Tamron has a 17-50 and a 28-80 f2.8(the latter which is now my main lens on my D300) that can be had used for under$400. Sigma has a few as well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:22 AM   #8

If you want to shoot in manual mode you still leave the lens at F16 and set the aperture via the thumb wheel. If the camera has 2 wheels it's the one at the fron for aperture and the one at the back for shutter speed. If you have just the rear wheel it changes shutter speed by default and aperture when used in combination with a button on top of the camera.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:03 PM   #9

lol ADD thing .. Nikon Zoom-Nikkor Telephoto zoom lens - 70 mm - 200 mm - F/2.8 - but i was thinking really it was 18 -200

doh ... time to take my meds ...

thanks ya'll will go see if I can make the dial move but if not its working in auto and thats my favorite mode )

Have a great day
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:46 AM   #10

If you look at the picture you posted the F16 is orange and all the otherF stops are white. That's because on modern Nikon cameras you always set the aperture to the minimum and the body sets the actual aperture to use. You also see the little switch to the right of 1.8 as shown the aperture ring would move. When the aperture is set to F16 the switch can be moved to the orange position to lock it at F16. This is how you should be using the lens with any Nikon DSLR.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote