Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:02 PM   #1

Maybe somebody can help me. I've had the Nikon N20/20 for years and finally got the Nikon D50. I have Nikkor 28mm, 50mm and Tameron 70-210mm. The 2 NIKKOR lens work on auto focus but the Tameron 70-210 lens won't, but it did on the N20/20. Can somebody tell me why the Tameron lens won't workwith the D50?

and, what zoom lens will work the the D50?
libysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:42 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

If you're sure it's an Autofocus lens, I'd make sure the aperture ring is set to the highest available f/stop number (probably f/22 with that lens). Otherwise, the camera won't be able to control the lens.

You could also have a bit of oxidation built up on the lens mount contacts causing a bad connection. Are you sure it's still working OK on the N2020?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:46 PM   #3
Administrator

Also, we have a dedicated Nikon Lenses Forum for questions about lenses used on Nikon dSLR models. So, I've moved this thread to it, where you may be more likely to get useful responses from Nikon dSLR owners.

Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:24 PM   #4

yes, the lens still works on the N20/20.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:25 PM   #5

It is an auto focus lens. i've used it numerous times.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:46 PM   #6
Administrator

From time to time, you do see some compatibility issues between older lens models and newer camera models. This is relatively rare with Tamron lenses. You may want to see if it works on another Nikon dSLR body. But, chances are, if it's not working on your D50, it's not going to work on newer body. I'd make sure the lens mount contacts are clean (and you may want to try remounting the lens a few times, since friction can help clean them), just to make sure it's making a good enough electrical connection with your D50 body.

Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:30 PM   #7

cant the d50 only take af-s lenses and not the older screw drive type focus lenses
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:27 AM   #8

hamtaro wrote:
Quote:
cant the d50 only take af-s lenses and not the older screw drive type focus lenses
The D50 has an internal focus motor, and can AF with non AF-S lenses. The focus motor was removed for the D40-40x-60.

For the original poster, do you get any error messages when trying to use the lens??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote