Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:59 AM   #1

So last night I got my new Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II EX APO HSM lens from B&H. I got it out, put my new MB-D10 battery pack on my D300 (got one of those, too) and put the lens on. Turned on the camera. Looked through the viewfinder... hit the shutter half trigger and....nothing. No autofocus. At all. I thought, hey thats REALLY quiet, lol. So quiet, it wasn't working.

So, to make sure it wasn't my camera, I tried it on my old F5 and my n70, neither of which worked, so I'm sure it was the lens.

While playing around with the manual focus ring a little bit, I was rotating it back and forth to test its ranges, and the motor came to life. It worked for about 10 minutes and then it stopped working again. I don't know what it is... seems like the logic chip/board in the lens is faulty. I'm pretty irritated... I read some reviews on this lens not being right from the factory, and then others who said it worked great out of the box. Well, it looks like I got a bad one. I'm sending it back to B&H on Monday and they will ship me out a new one. Or I could send it to Sigma and have them repair it for free.

Just wanted to know if I'm missing anything here or if anyone else has had a similar experience.

-Todd
pbook4g5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
NHL

pbook4g5 wrote:
Quote:
While playing around with the manual focus ring a little bit, I was rotating it back and forth to test its ranges, and the motor came to life. It worked for about 10 minutes and then it stopped working again. I don't know what it is... seems like the logic chip/board in the lens is faulty. I'm pretty irritated...
It's probably bad... and BHphoto should replace it!

-> Just out of curiosity do you have the D300 AF lever set on C or S?
If it's on S the camera only focus once, and you can rotate the focusing ring back and forth because the lens has HSM so you can fully overide the AF manually all the time without having to switch the lens to manual
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote