Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2003, 4:32 AM   #1

Default Sigma 170-500 Lens users?

I just bought a Sigma 170-500 APO lens for my D100. Are there any users of this lens here that are happy with it? (I had heard goog things about it elsewhere...)

Thanks,
<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2003, 6:26 PM   #2
Red

Default Sigma 170-500

I had that lens with my film SLR. It's a fine lens, but weighty and bulky. Strickly a tripod lens. Great results, but not a lens to carry about.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3

Default Re: Sigma 170-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I had that lens with my film SLR. It's a fine lens, but weighty and bulky. Strickly a tripod lens. Great results, but not a lens to carry about.
Thanks, Red... I've since gotten the lens. I didn't expect to use it handheld (anything this long tends to be a bit of a bear)... I do find the lens to give good results when stopped down a couple of stops. Over 400 mm in particular, it is a bit soft wide open. For my purposes (heavily wildlife for that lens), it seems to be pretty good. I'll be taking it with me to Alaska this Summer...

<TED>
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:22 PM   #4

Are you still happy with your Sigma 170-500 and D100? I'm thinking about purchasing that lense to use with my D100.
huskermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 10:06 PM   #5

Yeah, I am. I think it offers great performance for the money. Now, would I rather have some other lens if money were no object? Probably yes -- but that lens would cost me a LOT more (3 times as much <G>!)

Remember, this is a big heavy lens. You will use it with a tripod most of the time (though I have hand held it with good results).

Another alternative is the 50-500. I didn't buy it because it is even heavier than the 170-500 and I am suspicious of 10/1 zoom ratios. I probably shouldn't give much credence to my suspicions, though. That lens is incredibly sharp all things considered! It is 1/3 heavier, though...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermark
Are you still happy with your Sigma 170-500 and D100? I'm thinking about purchasing that lense to use with my D100.