Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:54 AM   #21

Thanks for the info, I really like the layout and flexability DXO offers with RAW, I also have noiseware. Noise software just removes noise DXO offers much more easy to use tools. (IMO)...

I will be selling my Tokina 80-200 F2.8, The AF is just to slow for sports. I am leaning toward the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 II and a 1.4 TC for greater distance. DO you think its a wise choice or just get the 70-300 vr and forget the night games?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:04 AM   #22
Administrator

Angel, I got the feeling that being able to take photos at night games was a big reason you wanted to move to a dSLR model. You'll have to decide how important that is to you.

That Tokina gets mixed reviews. If memory serves, for what you paid for it, it was a real bargain. But, yes, you should get much faster AF moving to a lens like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 with HSM, and you could use it for daytime photos with a TC. Just keep in mind you'll see a bit of optical degradation using a TC (and you'll lose one stop of light with a 1.4x TC).

But, in better lighting, you could stop down the aperture a bit to help out sharpess and contrast some (i.e., use f/5.6 or so, instead of using it wide open at an equivalent aperture of f/4 after a 1.4x TC is installed). For even better results in daytime, you may want to consider something like a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM instead. But, then, you'd lose the lower light advantage of a lens with f/2.8 available.

If you run into some extra cash, some of our members like the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 for sports. But, it's not cheap at around $2900 now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:14 AM   #23
Administrator

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I really like the layout and flexability DXO offers with RAW, I also have noiseware. Noise software just removes noise DXO offers much more easy to use tools. (IMO)...
BTW, a new version of Noise Ninja was just released a few days ago. So, you may want to give it a spin, too.

http://www.picturecode.com/

Bibble incorporates a basic version of Noise Ninja in it's raw conversion products. So, you may want to give it a try, also. There is also a preview version of the upcoming Bibble 5.0 release available for download (but, it's still in testing/bug squashing mode right now). If you buy the existing version, you'll get a free upgrade to 5.0 when it's released.

http://www.bibblelabs.com

To take advantage of all of Noise Ninja's features, you'd need to buy a Noise Ninja license though (only basic functionality is built in to Bibble, but you can get all of Noise Ninjas features with a license upgrade for it).

You've got lots of choices. I'd download the trial versions for some of them and see what you think works better for you (keeping workflow in mind, too).

Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:50 AM   #24

You are right on about work-flow from applications. So far I really like the effortless processing from DXO and organizing and posting from picassa. I also have light room, but find it difficult for the family to look and sort for pictures.

I am leaning toward the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with a TC. I think it gives me more flexibility for all around shooting unlike the Sigma 100-300 F4. I am going to inquire if DXO as correction foar a TC incorporated in there algorithm's?

The Tokina was a real bargain and was a good lenseto practice with.

Old May 1, 2009, 1:42 PM   #25

Sold my Tokina and ready to start deciding on a replacement for my D80 to compliment my 18-135 kit lense.

I am hesitant on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 after reading many complaints about build quality, HSM malfunction and the need to calibrate are just to much to worry about.

I am leaning toward the TAmron 70-200 f2.8 and sacrifice Superior AFS for optical and construction quality.

I am also looking at the nikon 70-200 f2.8 non vr or the 180mm f2.8

The main purpose will be to photograph high school athletic events in the day and night with the addition of a TC (no TC at Night) and also all around family portraits and a fast moving 3 year old.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:04 PM   #26
Administrator

I'm not sure I want to touch those observations with a 10 foot pole. :-)

I haven't noticed a lot of complaints about Sigma build quality with their 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM lenses. You do see complaints about bad copies of a given lens model from time to time though. That happens and a trip back to Sigma may be needed in some cases. But, you find the same types of issues with other manufacturers' lenses, too.

If you want faster AF, a higher end body with a faster AF motor is a better bet if you do go with a lens that doesn't have HSM or AF-S.

You sometimes see good reports of AF speed for some of the older non AF-S Nikkor lenses like their 80-200mm f/2.8 models when they're used on Pro level bodies like a D3 (and note that many older Nikkor lenses like some of the 80-200mm f/2.8 models are push-pull for zoom). But, I don't know how AF speed would compare when used on a model like your D80.