Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:25 PM   #1

I am a newbie to DSLR photography having just purchased a Nikon D50 with kit lens (18-55). I would like to purchase a medium telephoto for taking pictures of my son while he is riding his scooter and running around in the local playground/park.
From reviews I have read this seems to be a good lens, but am not sure how the push pull auto focus works. Is the focusing done with the onboard auto focus motor on the camera or is there a motor in the lens ?

Any advice would be gratefully received

dotibwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:55 AM   #2

Hi, and welcome to Steve's. The lens you are looking at is very good. The "d" version of this lens focuses faster and closer than the non-"d".

"From reviews I have read this seems to be a good lens, but am not sure how the push pull auto focus works."

I assume you are talking about the zoom, not the focus, which is auto and done by the in-camera focus motor. Manual focussing would be done by turning the focus ring at the end of the lens.

As you probably know, all lenses of the same kind may have minor differences ( one may be sharper than another) so take reviews at less than face value. As far as tests are concerned, no amount of lab tests are going to show you a picture of your kids or dog. Only you can do that.

I've used the lens and found it to be very sharp, especially at f/8 to f/10at 210mm and at 70mm at any aperture, even wide open. If you can get it for a decent price, that will make the deal sweeter and you will enjoy the lens I am sure.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am hoping to pick the D version of the lens up in the next couple of days. Will let you know how I get on.

Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:53 AM   #4

Is there much of a difference between the D and non-D version of this lens.
Would be grateful of any help

Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:34 PM   #5

Not optically. The D focusses closer, transmits distance info to the camera, which helps with metering and flash use. Also, the D focusses from infinity to 17' with one turn of the focus ring, the non-D goes from infinity to 40', which means the D focusses faster. Other than that, not much difference. I imagine the non-D would be a little easier on the wallet. Robert
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:11 AM   #6

Have now acquired the "non D" version of the lens and first impressions seem good.
It does focus quick enough for me and indeed the images are sharper than I expected. The push/pull will take abit of getting used to though. My only gripe if you can call it that is that it a quite a heavy lens although it does feel well made when compared to most AF-S lenses i have tried.

Thanks for the help and advice. It would also be interesting to see how fast the D version focuses though

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:00 AM   #7

This picture was taken using the "non D" version of the 70-210mm lens
shutter speed=1/500 sec
aperture f/4.8
focal length

was wondering if anyone could advise of what i can do to improve shots. I understand that it might be difficult from just the one image but all help gratefully received

Thanks
Attached Images

Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:23 PM   #8

Hope you don't mind, I did a little PP on your photo. Aside from being straight out of the camera(?), it appears to me that the focus point missed its target. Which focus setting are you using? I almost always use the center point only. Also, at 145mm and shooting wide open, the depth of field is thin, so a minor mis focus ends up being disastrous.

As to your question about improving shots, I think the most important factor in getting a good shot is the light. Then the subject matter, then the composition. Get a program to post process your pics, whether its photoshop/elements, paintshop pro, or the free Picassa 3, and work on things like lighting/contrast, color saturation, and sharpness. You will see a big difference. Robert

Old May 11, 2009, 2:13 PM   #9

Thanks will try out your recommendations and see how i get on
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:41 AM   #10

Thanks for the critique. Also is it true that i will have difficulty in using a screw on type uv filter with this lens ? the reason being is that i was told that as the front element on this lens rotates during focusing this may cause a problem with screw on filter.

Can anyone confirm or deny this
thanks in advance