Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2009, 3:13 PM   #1

After missing out on a nikon AF 70-210mm f4-5.6D,waited too long, I would be grateful for recommendations for a telephoto zoom lens (AF) to complement the kits lens (18-55 DX f3.5 - 5.5). I would prefer to stick with Nikon branded lenses unless I can be convinced that 3rd party lenses offer better value for money and quality.
The lens will be mainly used for action shots of my child and also for portraits where the background can be blurred but the foreground in focus. It would also be ideal if focusing of the lens was comparable with my kit lens.

Any help / recommendations will be gratefully received

"We all have to start somewhere so please be understanding"

Thanks for your help
dotibwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2009, 6:44 AM   #2

It'd help to have an idea of your budget as there are a lot of options. A good compliment to the 18-55 would be the 55-200 which is available with and withour VR. an 18-200 could replace the 18-55 but costs about double. The 70-300 is available in several models with a wide range of prices.

Sigma EX lenses and Tokina ATX lens are very good quality lenses and can outperform cheap Nikon lenses so you shouldn't discount them if the match your budget.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
My budget is around the £200 mark and if there are any third party lenses which are of better quality than the nikkor ones covering the same range/speed I would be willing to look at them. I suppose I am realyy after the best value for money/quality lens I can purchase within this budget

Thanks once again
dotibwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:09 AM   #4

In budget lenses the Sigma 70-300 APO outperforms the Nikon 70-300 in the reviews. Sigma make 2 versions of the 70-300 and it's the more expensive one that gets the better reviews. I have a Nikon 70-300 which was very cheap and is adequate, not the best lens I have but as I don't do much telephoto shooting it's suits my usage.

I've looked around and none of the 55-200 lenses seem to get great reviews but they are OK.

I'd check www.warehouseexpress.co.uk and www.microglobe.co.uk as I've found their prices to be pretty good.

When you've found a lens you're interested in try searching the web for reviews there's a lot of information out there and it's impartial. On forums people can only tell you what their lenses are like.

As far as I can see the 70-210 lens you were looking at is a higher priced lens but an old lens no longer manufactured.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:24 PM   #5

Hi, I have the 55-200 VR and I'm very very satisfied with it. It's a perfect companion to my D50. It takes stunning pictures for the price. It never failed me. Here's a picture taken not too long ago. There's very little tweaking n Capture NX. I could have posted the picture as is. Go for it iflike me, you're on a tight budget. Karmin.
Attached Images

Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote