Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:29 PM   #11

Pdotcantu wrote:
Quote:
Yeah I think I would definitely need that fisheye lens.

What do you all think about the Canon EOS 5D Mark II?

I had my mind set on the Nikon D700 even after reading the reviews of it against the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. However . . .
I just saw that the Canon EOS 5D Mark II can produce video at 1080p! I saw sample videos and they look amazing. After viewing the videos I'm drawn now between the two cameras. I guess it all comes down to preference but I wish I had both.

Someone help me out here.
Ok, so let's assume you need the fisheye.

From what you've posted so far, you have no existing lenses (you were thinking about either Nikon or Canon), so does that mean you've neverowned a DSLR before, and have notused a film SLR before?

So the question is, what will you use the fisheye for, specifically, and have you used a fisheye before??

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:22 PM   #12

Yup, that's correct. I've only used an Olympus E-3 model. No film just a Digital slr. Not only do I need a fisheye lens but a 50mm and a 24-70mm. The fisheye will be used to try to squeeze shots of urban subjects all into one frame. This'll be my first fisheye lens. Which brings up my next question. Ken Rockwell says on his website that the 15mm Canon fisheye lens is superior to Nikon's 10.5 fisheye lens. How is that?
Pdotcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:51 PM   #13

Pdotcantu wrote:
Quote:
Yup, that's correct. I've only used an Olympus E-3 model. No film just a Digital slr. Not only do I need a fisheye lens but a 50mm and a 24-70mm. The fisheye will be used to try to squeeze shots of urban subjects all into one frame. This'll be my first fisheye lens. Which brings up my next question. Ken Rockwell says on his website that the 15mm Canon fisheye lens is superior to Nikon's 10.5 fisheye lens. How is that?

As previously mentioned, the Nikon 10.5mm is for DX, not for full frame.(not for the FX sensor on theD700)

So the equivalent field of view on a DX camera (e.g. D300) is around 16mm. So he could be talking about larger field of view, better sharpness, less CA, etc...

And of course, you do realise that the fisheye's imagewill be heavily distorted??

If you want to queeze urban subjects into one frame, then why not use a panorama program, such as PTGui??

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:37 AM   #14

For the full frame D700 you should be looking at the 16mm Nikon fisheye not the DX format 10.5.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote