Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:40 PM   #1

I was thinking about getting a Nikon D700 for a trip and as far as lenses go I already know I want the fisheye 10.5 lens. I saw some other lenses that I liked, like th 24-70mm but I didn't realize how expensive the lenses are. Most of the pictures are going to be Portrait/Landscape and Night shots. The fisheye is around $600 so if anyone knows any lenses that are Necessary for this Nikon (i.e. the fisheye lens) around the same price let me know what you would recommend. Thanks
Pdotcantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:57 AM   #2

Are you aware that the 10.5mm lens is intended for DX format cameras?

If the Nikon 24-70mm is more than you want to pay are third party lenses an option that you might consider?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3

The Nikon 16mm fisheye or the Sigma 15mm fisheye are more suitable for the full frame D700.

There's a Sigma 24-70 that's about half the price of the Nikon and should givegood results.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I notice you were borrowing a friends Oly last year, did you end up buying anything or did you stick with that?

What budget are you working to as if you are concerned about lens costs you are probably looking at things back to front? A lesser body with good lenses will out perform a high end body with cheap glass. What has brought you to the D700 as the choice? It is a lovely camera but for a lot of users there is going to be little gain over the D300 and this will leave you a lot of money to get good glass and accessories.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:26 PM   #5

Yeah I had the Olympus for a while and it was actually very nice and took great photos. My budget for the camera is around $2k?

I've used a Nikon D300 before without the flash and the pictures were "ok". I've seen what the Nikon D3 can do but it's way out of my budget and the next best thing is the Nikon D700. I've also seen the debate between Canon and Nikon users and how more people prefer Nikon.

I know for sure I want the fisheye lens for the Nikon. I would also like the 24-70mm lens. Everyone is mentioning that I could get a cheaper lens from Sigma, but why is it half the price of Nikon's lens. Wouldn't the Nikon lens be better?

I really decided on getting this D700 for a trip to IRL.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:36 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm a Canon user but happy with recommending what will best suit a user so no issues at all with Nikon. If we are only working with a $2k budget then from what I see on the US market the camera is already outside of this before we talk lenses. Have you got links to the photos you speak of as I'm sure that there is only a very limited visual gain in going from 300 to 700. As for the Nikon 24-70 over the Sigma 24-70, from what I've seen the Nikon is the strongest especially when it comes to focus (unless we talk about the new Sigma 24-70), but if you get a good Sigma then you will get lovely results. I have one as a backup lens to on of my Canons for when I'm shooting weddings and the copy I have is good, I did however have to return the first one that I received as it simply wasn't sharp. This is why I only buy lenses from my local shop who know me well so I can sort things out like this, when it comes to bodies I'm happy to order online.

You will find quite a vast difference in shooting between the Oly and the D700 as you have gone from a 4/3s sensor to 35mm, this will mean your dof is reduced considerably which has both benefits and disadvantages depending on what you are shooting.

As has been pointed out make sure you look at the right lenses as not all will work on the D700/D3 etc with 35mm sensors.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:10 PM   #7

I suppose it also begs the question....

Do you really need that fisheye?? For example, I myself would not be interested in a fisheye at 10.5mm(with the circular image it produces), however,I have a 10-20mm ultrawide angle zoom, which is NOT a fisheye.

I prefer the relatively undistorted image it produces!!!!

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:17 AM   #8

The Nikon 16mm and 10.5 mm lenses produce a rectangular image not a circular image although it is distorted image.

Ken
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:50 PM   #9

Yeah I think I would definitely need that fisheye lens.

What do you all think about the Canon EOS 5D Mark II?

I had my mind set on the Nikon D700 even after reading the reviews of it against the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. However . . .
I just saw that the Canon EOS 5D Mark II can produce video at 1080p! I saw sample videos and they look amazing. After viewing the videos I'm drawn now between the two cameras. I guess it all comes down to preference but I wish I had both.

Someone help me out here.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:32 AM   #10

My view on that is you are better off reading reviews. You've posted on a Nikon forum so you are unlikely to find someone who has experience of the Canon, post on the Canon forum and you won't find someone with experience of the Nikon. Post on a what camera forum and people will tell you how great their camera is.

Ken