Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:23 PM   #1

hi, nice forum. lots of good info. well i have been reading and reading and think i might have a good idea on my first lenses. i have a D80 with the a 18-135mm lens. i use my camera mainly for casual events. but i do want to be able to take some good macro shots of my corals in my marine tank. i dont think i need a macro lens though. i am going on a trip and would like to take some good landscapes and buildings.shot with people up frontwith background views. of course xmas parties and thingsbut not sure if i would need a real low light lens. would also be taking shots while camping, BBQingect...so iam hoping these lenses will do. i do want good quality pics of course. money is not too much of an issue but i dont want to spend the money on something like the "holy trinity" just yet. not until i really understand why i want them. so this is what i came up with these two lenses.

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

and one of these..

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR or18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX or the 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX

i am open to other combos, i am not surei like the idea of faster prime lenses but have no idea what combo of primes i would want.thanks for any help or suggestions.

prow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:49 AM   #2

I think the 70-300 would be a useful addition if you want a telephoto.

I don't see any real advantage of the 18-55 or 18-70 over the lens you already have and which covers these focal lengths and more.

The 17-55 is a different kettle of fish altogether but at quite a price.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:51 AM   #3

prow wrote:
Quote:

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

and one of these..

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR or18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX or the 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX

i am open to other combos, i am not surei like the idea of faster prime lenses but have no idea what combo of primes i would want.thanks for any help or uggestions.
The 70-300 is not a bad lens, and about as good as you can do for a tele at the price. Of the others, only the 17-55 will offer a solid upgrade from your 18-135. I would also look to add a flash to your outfit.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:26 AM   #4

hi thanks for the posts. yeah the 70-300mm is one i am going with and it feels like the 17-55mm will be the other.
prow is offline   Reply With Quote