Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:04 PM   #1

I'm shooting a D80 w/18-135mm DX lens. I shoot a lot of people for business web sties. They're not classic portraits as such, but I guess in effect they are. Anyway, the problem is I seem to be getting a lot of noise of late. Even w/flash. I recently got a SB-600, and bouncing it off the ceiling, I can usally get all the light I need to shoot hand-held, but when I look at the shot at home on my machine, full screen, 100%, I can see a lot of noise. Therefore I end up spending a lot of time editing out noise, which of course is a trade off loosing detail. I can always soften too much clean detail, but I can't create in editing what I don't capture, so too sharp is not a concern.

Now I soften faces, and edit out blemishes anyway, but I like to keep the eyes sharp. But there's a lot of noise there. I know there are better lenses for this. What are y'all's suggestions. From what I've read so far, a 50mm f/1.8 seems to be a favorite. Is that a DX lens w/AF?

Is there a "sweet spot" on my 18-135mm DX that captures a cleaner shot w/o all the noise.

Thanks so much in advance to any and all advice.
Catfishcounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:37 PM   #2

Without giving any Shot Data w your Question its hard to tell....Whats the ISO,F stop,shutter speed????etc.
Coax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:32 PM   #3

Noise isn't really a function of the lens. It's more sensor related. As long as you're shooting at lower Iso's (400 and under), and exposing properly, noise shouldn't be an issue.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:26 PM   #4

Yes I understand that it should mostly be the sensor. But I wouldn't think the CCD sensor in this D80 should be producing this much noise. The ones I'm looking at now I shot @ 400 ISO, 1/125, f4.5. with bounce flash.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:43 PM   #5

Catfishcounts wrote:
Quote:
Yes I understand that it should mostly be the sensor. But I wouldn't think the CCD sensor in this D80 should be producing this much noise. The ones I'm looking at now I shot @ 400 ISO, 1/125, f4.5. with bounce flash.
Iso 400 will produce some noise, but it shouldn't be objectionable. Why are you shooting at 400 with flash?? You should be able to to shoot at 100 or 200 when using flash. Remember, flash output is reduced when bouncing, so try using a slower shutter speed, even as low as 1/60th. This also allows more ambient light in which should give a more natural look.

Posting a pic will allow us to give more recommendations and better advice.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:06 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll do that, post a shot here in a bit. I shake too much @ 1/60, though I try to lean against something as much as possible. I've got a good tripod I guess I should be using, it's just tough in these situations to do anything but hand-held. Thanks so much for your time and replies. I'll post a pic after my meeting. Thanks again.

I also just remembered that I didn't take into account the high ceilings in this old house where the offices were on this last shoot. The first office had low, off-white ceilings, lots of light bouncing down. This last spot was an old Victorian house, high dark ceilings.
Attached Images