Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:58 AM   #1

Hi,

My hobbyhas been mostly nature photography, so I'm used to my Sigma170-500mm f/5-6.3 and my Tamron 100-300mm f/5-6.3 (w/diopters or extension)as my go to lenses. I also like my kit Nikkor 18-70mm 3.5-4.5G ED. I use a D90 now.

But I've got a gig coming up that is not nature photography related. It is an indoor, corporate party that I need to get event pictures, 2-5 people group shots, etc.

I know the 500mm is useless for it. I'll take the 100-300, but it will likely be too long for the room.

As you can tell, I'm suddenly out of my element.

I'm going to add a lens. I'm thinking about going cheap withthe Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8D. Do I need the 1.4 instead? Is 50mm what I need or 35mm? :?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :bye:
joe63251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:36 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd probably use your 18-70mm with a Nikon SB-800 or SB-600, depending on budget.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:41 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'd probably use your 18-70mm with a Nikon SB-800 or SB-600, depending on budget.
Absolutely. a prime will be too restrictive. And non-flash photos will look very ameteurish (as will photos with on-board flash). You'll be shooting at f5.6-f8 and you're not going to have enough light for that without flash and on-board flash just looks bad.

The 100-300 will be way too long unless you were taking shots of a speaker from the back of the room.

If you can scout out the room ahead of time that is beneficial - if you can bounce you're OK. if not, a flash bracket is perferable to on-camera flash.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:50 AM   #4

I forgot to mention that I did get an old,used SB-28 a while back (only usable in Auto or manual - no TTL - on the D90) for dirt cheap. Is the upgrade to SB-600 worth it? 800 out of budget.
joe63251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:54 AM   #5
Administrator

IMO, yes, it's well worth it. Nikon has one of the best dedicated flash systems around for balancing light based your camera settings, and the SB-600 is a nice flash.

Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:15 AM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

Keep in mind that Nikon's iTTL flash systems can use relatively sophisticated techniques to determine the flash light needed for best results, using information like Aperture, Shutter Speed, Active Focus points, and even subject distance with D lenses like your 18-70mm.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't get great results with a non-iTTL compatible flash like your SB-28. But, I've seen some pretty good results from the SB-600, and I'd get one if budget permits. You'd also get FP mode (high speed sync) with it for use in outdoor lighting as fill when you want to keep your shutter speeds set higher than the camera's x-sync speed.