Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:23 AM   #1

I know this isn't the zenith of scientific tests under laboratory conditions but I carried out some sharpness tests on the lens mentioned.

As a matter of interest I have this lensfor over a year now and read about the test a mag recently, so I thought why not give it a go.

What I did was, set my camera up facing a magazine page with fineprint.

Then I chose a different focal length each with a variety of F No's.

Here are my findings for what they are worth.I did not go above F22 as I took 76 shots as it was and I rarely go above F22

I expect to be told that my test is faulty but I did find what for me at least is useful and maybe someone else.

18mm seems to prefer F11-F16 for the sharpestresults.

22mmNo real difference from largest up to F22

28mmDitto

50mm Likes theF4.8-F8

100mm " F5-F8

200mm " F5.6-F8

Having said all that I have just comes back from a Cruise and am amazed at the quality of 99% of my shots.

IMHO it's a truly amazing peice if kit, despite what it's detractors have to say, I realise a sack full of prime lenses would be better (been theredone that) but as a walk about lens it is going to be hard to beat. I have had both Sigma and Tamron as a matter of interest
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:50 AM   #2

Just a postscript, despite the results of these tests, which show up the differenceson amagnifiedcomputer screen, I personally cannot see any differenceson A4 size prints, which I do regularly for my camera club competitions.I supposed if I cropped severely, a difference would show but with the zoom I usually get the size I want without much cropping.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote