Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Nikon 35mm F1.8 AFS availability

I know the 35mm F1.8 AFS lens is still relatively new but when does it become available to the masses?

A few online places have it, Amazon doesn't directly have it yet......

I figure prices will drop at least a little bit once more are available.

I'd like to get one for use on my D40. Reviews seem very good.

Thanks.
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post
I know the 35mm F1.8 AFS lens is still relatively new but when does it become available to the masses?

A few online places have it, Amazon doesn't directly have it yet......

I figure prices will drop at least a little bit once more are available.

I'd like to get one for use on my D40. Reviews seem very good.

Thanks.
Don't count on prices dropping. Inventories will likely continue to be short on this lens as demand will remain high for this lens. New lenses tend to be in short supply..if anything expect prices to maybe even go up if supply remains short.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:53 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
A few online places have it.....
Be Careful. Just because they claim it's in stock, doesn't mean that it's "really" in stock. There are an awful lot of scammers around.

I'd check customer reviews for any vendor you consider using http://www.resellerratings.com

The vendors I found showing it in stock are not ones I'd order from. When the larger vendors like B&H, Ritz/Wolf, Adorama, Amazon.com, etc., show they're still waiting on shipments from Nikon, I wouldn't trust that a smaller online vendor really has them unless they have a very good reputation.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:15 PM   #4

So does anybody know when they will really be available? Per the press release it is supposed to be available March 2009. Some quick math tells me that has come and gone.
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:24 PM   #5

Quote:
So does anybody know when they will really be available? Per the press release it is supposed to be available March 2009. Some quick math tells me that has come and gone.
Your best bet is to get on a waiting list at Adorama or B&W. Nikon has traditionally had issues with supply on some of the more popular lenses on initial release. The 18-200 was in short supply for almost 18 months before supply caught up with demand. Nikon has predicted lower sales over the next year or so, so I would expect this lens to be in short supply for the near future.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Administrator

They're shipping (but, they may be shipping in limited quantities, depending on the region you live in). For example, I just noticed someone posting that they bought a D300 along with that lens (in Dubai).

Keep in mind that there were no inexpensive primes that would Autofocus on entry level Nikon models like the D40 and D40x (and now the D60 and D5000) before this lens was released; and the entry level models from Nikon have been very hot sellers.

So, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that a *lot* of entry level Nikon dSLR owners are trying to buy it right now (with demand exceeding supply).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:08 AM   #7

Noobs with D40s (like me), 60s and the new D5000 are 'probably' going to be buying the 35mm as their second lens.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote