Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:28 PM   #1

Default lens made in Japan vrs made in Thailand

I'm shopping for a used Nikkor 24-85mm 3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S lens, and notice lenses made in both Japan and Thailand are available. Is there any difference in the quality of a Nikon lens made in Japan versus the same lens made in Thailand?
Tallgrass05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

Personally, I would not worry about it (and I would not expect any differences in quality). Here's an old article from http://old.photodo.com about Nikon manufacturing in Thailand:

http://old.photodo.com/art/Mode4.shtml

BTW, it looks like keh.com (a reputable vendor of used gear) has a couple of them in stock now:

Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S Lenses at keh.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:25 PM   #3

Super duper, Jim, I appreciate the input.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:51 PM   #4
Administrator

Let us know how you like it if you get one. I'm currently shooting with a Sony A700, and my favorite walk around lens is a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Lens. If I were shooting Nikon, I'd probably consider the Nikkor 24-85mm you're looking at, too.

I've found that a 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens is a good compromise between focal range, optical quality, brightness, size and weight for the conditions I tend to shoot in more often; and it looks like that Nikkor 24-85mm tests relatively well from what I can find out with some Google searches (except perhaps for a bit more CA than desired on it's wider end, but some of the newer Nikon dSLR camera models are starting to correct for CA anyway).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:13 PM   #5

I recently got a Nikon D700, plus some Nikon macro lenses and flashes for work purposes. I'm also outdoors a fair bit, so I figure that the 24-85mm lens will cover casual shooting, social events, landscapes, etc. I'll sure give it a test.