Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Default 18-55, & 55-200 vrs 18-200 lens

I don't know why but I found out at a popular camera store you can't just buy a Nikon D60 body. You have to buy it with the 18-55 lens, and they are of course giving a deal on the D40, D60, & D5000 on buying the 18-55 and 55-200 lens at low price with a this package deal with bag, etc. Is the 18-200 lens on par or better than getting these two separate lens options? Yes I know it's a lot easier having one lens. However in saving hundreds of dollars for the two lens, it helps pay for a flash, and memory card as well.

Based on another thread, unless you want nice close up photos of your subject, you can use the 55-200 on a regular basis for your main lens and then the 18-55 when your subjects are close and you desire a wider view.
To you all agree with this?
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I don't know why but I found out at a popular camera store you can't just buy a Nikon D60 body. You have to buy it with the 18-55 lens, and they are of course giving a deal on the D40, D60, & D5000 on buying the 18-55 and 55-200 lens at low price with a this package deal with bag, etc. Is the 18-200 lens on par or better than getting these two separate lens options? Yes I know it's a lot easier having one lens. However in saving hundreds of dollars for the two lens, it helps pay for a flash, and memory card as well.

Based on another thread, unless you want nice close up photos of your subject, you can use the 55-200 on a regular basis for your main lens and then the 18-55 when your subjects are close and you desire a wider view.
To you all agree with this?
In terms of convenience, the 18-200 wins. Quality wise, the 18-55/55-200 combo is probably better.

You've got the lenses mixed up...the 18-55 should be your main lens. The 55-200 is probably too long for typical everyday use. That depends on your shooting style however.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:14 PM   #3

I would think that when your close up to your subject's you would use the 18-55. However in many situations, I find my kids are playing in a concert, riding a bike over 15 feet away, on trips across the country when you see a building or something in the distance, you would use the 55-200 more. Depends on your situation I guess
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:21 PM   #4

As previously mentioned the Nikkor 18-200mm wins hands down in terms of convenience. And if stopped down a bit, it does a pretty darned good job. Over the time I have owned my 18-200mm VR, I have come to appreciate it a lot. It is not perfect, but it is surely convenient.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:00 PM   #5

The 18-200 is probably a great lens but at $849, that is the price I paid today for the Nikon 5000 with the 18-55 VR, and 55-200 VR lens.

I was surprised to find out Nikon sells both these lens options either standard or VR. I called Nikon and they confirmed VR (Vibration reduction) allows more shutter speed options, and they recommended I go with the VR versions...which I did. Now I have to wait for my camera to be shipped.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
The 18-200 is probably a great lens but at $849, that is the price I paid today for the Nikon 5000 with the 18-55 VR, and 55-200 VR lens.
Congratulations! Good luck with it!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:58 AM   #7

in the begining, i was very strong minded on getting the 18-200, and have not regretted it since. i was also convinced that i should get the 35/1.8 lens with it, for when the light gets low.
3 months and 2000 pics later, bright light, dim light, the 18-200 covered it all, and up to today, i still have not used the 35.

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Congratulations! Good luck with it!
Ritz camera, B&H, and Adorama are all out of stock on this camera with the two lens opton I wanted. Ritz were I ordered the camera said it could be a couple of weeks before they get it in.It appears this is a hot selling setup. In searching the internet I actaully found a Best Buy that had the camera with the two VR lens setup. So I had to cancel my order with Ritz and will be picking up the camera today. Can't wait.
Really wish I had the money to buy the 18-22 lens, but no can do.