Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:34 AM   #1

Default issue with my new Sigma 50-150 and my Nikon D3

Good Morning everyone,

I just got the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM II for my Nikon D3 and am having issues with the corners on my photos.

The sample is from the Chatsworth, CA Pirate Faire over the 4th of July Weekend.

Not sure why but in FX and 5:4 mode it's always there.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
Joseph Boeing
Attached Images

Gear
Nikon D3
Nikkor 85mm 1.8
Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM II
Joseph Boeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:36 AM   #2

Well, I haven't used a full frame camera like the Nikon D3, but there could be a DX mode on your camera to use the DX lenses designed for smaller sensors, otherwise as far as I know, a lens dedicated for APS-C size sensor such as your Sigma AF 50-150mm f/2.8 EX HSM DC is likely to cause such a vignetting on a full frame FX sensor.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Joseph,

Welcome to Steve's, sorry that your first post is with a problem.

Unfortunately the 50-150 is a DC lens which means it is designed for APS-C size sensors (DX format rather than FX) so when you shoot full frame then not all of the image sensor is covered.

If you were advised by a shop to get this for a D3 then they should take it back as they didn't give you the correct information.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4

I've been wanting a lens like this and while I couldn't afford the 70-200 Nikkor 2.8 I did some research and the store said it would work great but I walked in asking to order it.

Sigma's site said that it works up to a full frame and I went by Sigma's site.

The store ordered it from sigma and it got there the day i left for the ren faire.

I'm new to the nikon set up and have always used Olympus starting with the OM-1 when I was 8 years old.

I'll go to dexter's camera today and see what they say.

Thanks,
Joseph Boeing

Gear
Nikon D3
Nikkor 85mm 1.8
Nikkor 24-85mm 2.8-4
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM II
Joseph Boeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Administrator

All of Sigma's DC series lenses are designed for cameras with APS-C size sensors. That's also true for Nikon's DX series lenses, Tokina's DX series lenses, and Tamron's Di II series lenses. They're all designed with smaller image circles for APS-C size sensors.

See this note on the right hand side of Sigma's description for their 50-150mm f/2.8 DC lens:

Quote:
Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size or 35mm SLR cameras.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...38&navigator=6

Because Sigma's DC series lenses are designed for the smaller APS-C size sensor, that allows for a smaller size and weight compared to lenses that need a larger image circle for full frame sensors.

You can still use it on a D3. But, if you don't want vignetting, you'll need to use one of the DX image sizes with reduced resolution (for example, 2784 x 1848 pixels).

If you want an f/2.8 lens designed for the larger sensor in your D3 that allows you to take full resolution images without vignetting, your best bet would be to move up to a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or Nikon's 70-200mm f/2.8 (or perhaps a used Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 on a tighter budget).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote