Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:18 PM   #11

Here's what photozone.de say about those three lenses:

Tamron 18-270mm
"The center performance is generally decent but the border quality could/should be better especially at large aperture settings. The long end of the zoom range does also suffer from rather hefty lateral CAs (color shadows) which doesn't really help to lift the quality perception here..... All-in-all the lens may be a tad better than Canon's 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS but if you're looking for high image quality rather than convenience you should look elsewhere." (Scored 2 out of 5 for optical quality)

Tamron 18-250mm
"Early user comments already suggested that new Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro does not only offer a longer range but also a higher quality over the old Tamron AF 18-200mm XR and the lab results confirm these impressions....... The results may not touch the sky but the new AF 18-250mm delivers a very solid performance for most of the range. Unsurprisingly the weak spot is at 250mm @ f/6.3 - stopping down to f/8 is a good idea here. Nonetheless the resolution characteristic is fairly amazing regarding the extreme zoom range." (scored 3 out of 5 optical quality)

Tamron 18-200mm
"The center portion is generally very sharp with excellent resolution figures at the wide end and still very good quality at 200mm. Unfortunately this isn't quite true for the borders at the extreme ends of the zoom range. At 18mm f/3.5 the border resolution is dismal"
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 9:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post

Tamron 18-270mm
"The center performance is generally decent but the border quality could/should be better especially at large aperture settings. The long end of the zoom range does also suffer from rather hefty lateral CAs (color shadows) which doesn't really help to lift the quality perception here..... All-in-all the lens may be a tad better than Canon's 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS but if you're looking for high image quality rather than convenience you should look elsewhere." (Scored 2 out of 5 for optical quality)

Tamron 18-250mm
"Early user comments already suggested that new Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro does not only offer a longer range but also a higher quality over the old Tamron AF 18-200mm XR and the lab results confirm these impressions....... The results may not touch the sky but the new AF 18-250mm delivers a very solid performance for most of the range. Unsurprisingly the weak spot is at 250mm @ f/6.3 - stopping down to f/8 is a good idea here. Nonetheless the resolution characteristic is fairly amazing regarding the extreme zoom range." (scored 3 out of 5 optical quality)

Tamron 18-200mm
"The center portion is generally very sharp with excellent resolution figures at the wide end and still very good quality at 200mm. Unfortunately this isn't quite true for the borders at the extreme ends of the zoom range. At 18mm f/3.5 the border resolution is dismal"
Hi, I found this review just now and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/...ews/39567.aspx

v/r

Rick
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:23 PM   #13

Rick-

Thanks for that link. It was an interesting read.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Rick-

Thanks for that link. It was an interesting read.

Sarah Joyce
Hi there Sarah,

Here is another one I found just now.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...p5-6p3_vc_n15/

I think I already made my decision. I'm returning the Tamron non-VC 18-200mm and picking up the Tamron VC 18-270. This should be it for me. I'm not wanting to be anything more than a casual photographer I just want to be able to have the extension when I nedd it.

Thank you Sarah for your help.

v/r

Rick
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:44 PM   #15

Default Tamron with VC 18-270mm

Rick,

As a casual photographer you should be happy with the 18-270mm. I worked with mine for a couple of months before I sold the Nikon 18-105 VR kit lens.

The only downside is the tendency of the lens to be confused during some focussings situations, resulting in pushing down on the shutter and nothing happens. This happens more often on the higher end of the middle range. It is sometimes frustrating but not enough for me to not use it as my default lense and certainly with it the Nikon 18-105 VR becomes superfluous.

I have another ProMaster 70-300 (non VR) lens that will eventually find a home on ebay; only delaying because I won't get much for it.

The only other lens I am considering is a Nikon 1.8 50mm (or 1.4) auto focus lens, if I can find one for a song.
hilleyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 3:00 PM   #16

Rick-

Nikon lenses have traditionally cost more, but I did note that the price of the Nikon 18-200mm lens has come down in price. I hope that you can find a good deal.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:08 PM   #17

One other pont that I don't think anyone has mentioned so far (after I reread the original post).

If you have a D40, then it's very likely that the 28-300mm lens will only have the AF screw, and NOT an inbuilt focus motor. That means the 28-300mm will not AF with the D40.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:23 PM   #18
Administrator

The VC version of the Tamron 28-300mm has a built in motor.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:09 AM   #19

Quote:
You might want to take a look at the Pentax DSLR Lens Folder. There are some good photo examples there of the Pentax 18-250mm lens which is built by Tamron.

I have the Pentax 18-250 mm lens on order and will post some examples when I return on 15 August from this next teaching contract. The Tamron 18-270mm lens has VC which would be an advantage on your Nikon D-40. The pentax 18-250mm lens does not have VC, but Pentax DSLR cameras has their brand of IS, which tey call SR (shake reduction) built into the camera body.

Sarah Joyce
Not only that, but the new Nikon VR II lenses "borrowed" Tamrons VC technology for their new lenses.
(it was brought to my attention that I stated it as a fact... it is not a fact, but what I heard from a pro that sells Nikon gear... so that's all I'm going on)

I know this is an older thread, but I've had good luck with the Tamron 28-300mm with my Pentax K10D, then the Tamron 18-250mm with the Pentax K20D. Now I have two Nikon D5000 with the Sigma 50-500mm and just got the Tamron 18-270mm VC for the other body. I'll let you know my take on that after I've had it a week or so.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Feb 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post

Tamron 18-270mm

Tamron 18-250mm

Tamron 18-200mm
You picked the negative ones to post
For every one of those, there were very good reviews...
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote