Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:19 AM   #11

ive just swapped systems, going from a K20D to D90, mainly for the autofocus speed, i was worried id be spending a lot of money and not seeing much difference, but after swapping i know ive done the right thing, the D90 is head and shoulders above the K20D, dont get me wrong, i loved the pentax and i took some really good pics with it, but the nikon just seems to do everything that bit better, quieter and faster.
i got the 18-105 lens with it, which is a great lens and id deffinatly recommend it to anyone, i dont like swapping lenses either and i wish there was a great 10-300 lens lol, but there isnt so i bought a 70-300vr for telephoto work, because its a good zoom and doesnt try to be anything else. ive not used a 18-200 but most of the reviews and comments ive read say its a good lense, but i think maybe it trys to do a bit to much.

the only thing i miss about the k20D is it felt much more sturdy, tougher, the D90 does feel quite a bit flimsy in comparison.

so for me at least the grass was very much greener
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:38 AM   #12

I surely do agree that the Nikon 18-200mm lens is a compromise. However, in the same breath, I have to agree that it is very convenient, thus I keep the lens. I also own the Nikon 18-105mm lens and IQ-wise it is a very measurably better lens than the Nikon 18-200mm lens.

In actual practice in day to day shooting, I find that I use the 18-105mm lens more than the 18-200mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
ive just swapped systems, going from a K20D to D90, mainly for the autofocus speed, i was worried id be spending a lot of money and not seeing much difference, but after swapping i know ive done the right thing, the D90 is head and shoulders above the K20D, dont get me wrong, i loved the pentax and i took some really good pics with it, but the nikon just seems to do everything that bit better, quieter and faster.
i got the 18-105 lens with it, which is a great lens and id deffinatly recommend it to anyone, i dont like swapping lenses either and i wish there was a great 10-300 lens lol, but there isnt so i bought a 70-300vr for telephoto work, because its a good zoom and doesnt try to be anything else. ive not used a 18-200 but most of the reviews and comments ive read say its a good lense, but i think maybe it trys to do a bit to much.

the only thing i miss about the k20D is it felt much more sturdy, tougher, the D90 does feel quite a bit flimsy in comparison.

so for me at least the grass was very much greener
thanks for the input, for u have also had the K20D
i too have been getting cold feet on if i should invest in a K7, and not sure if that model corrects the K20D short commings. or use the same money and get a D90 that i know has a better autofocus - especially in low light, better high iso images as compared to the K20D
To give a bit of history on what i am looking for and before i was thinking of going nikon, i was looking for a lens that would give a bit more reach than the 16-50. at 16 i did not care for as at 16 the picture quality was not there, so i rearly used it, but wanting more reach on the 50 has been required at least 25% of the times. with the 50-135 lens (great quality ) but at 135 i could see the lens and camera going all over the place, tried a monopod but that did not help much. and hauling around that 50-135 and only using it 25% of the times became a PITA
So i went on photozone to check for a lens to give that extra reach and this is where i came accross the 18-105, and wow, the mtf results were astonishing.
can you tell me , if the D90 was an improvement over the K20D
in low light, auto focus and genaral focus speed
better high iso
constiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I surely do agree that the Nikon 18-200mm lens is a compromise. However, in the same breath, I have to agree that it is very convenient, thus I keep the lens. I also own the Nikon 18-105mm lens and IQ-wise it is a very measurably better lens than the Nikon 18-200mm lens.

In actual practice in day to day shooting, I find that I use the 18-105mm lens more than the 18-200mm lens.

Sarah Joyce
that been an intersection for me wanting a one lens solution, i know i just want a bit more reach over 50mm, but wonder if i woud miss the 105-200 range.
i am glad you have the two lenses, as i have a very important question for you.
in the 18-200 lens, in the area of 18-105, is there much difference in IQ as compared to the 18-105, i hope i wrot that correct.

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Administrator

I'd probably go with the new D300s if budget permits, coupled with the 18-105mm. That way, you're saving enough on lens cost to afford the better camera body (with more features and faster AF performance with the newer D300s model), while getting a higher quality lens with the 18-105mm at the same time, at focal lengths in common with them when comparing the 18-105mm and 18-200mm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:13 PM   #15

the D90 is without question way better than the k20d at all aspects of focusing, however the pentax section has some posts from people with the new k7, they report a much improved focus system, if it compares with the D90 i dont know, but i doupt it.

i was tempted by the D300 as well, but in the end i decided to get the cheaper camera, that way i could get a couple of lenses right away.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'd probably go with the new D300s if budget permits, coupled with the 18-105mm. That way, you're saving enough on lens cost to afford the better camera body (with more features and faster AF performance with the newer D300s model), while getting a higher quality lens with the 18-105mm at the same time, at focal lengths in common with them when comparing the 18-105mm and 18-200mm.
the D300s sounds good , but on the calculator, goes too high.and i would have to wait till mid sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
the D90 is without question way better than the k20d at all aspects of focusing, however the pentax section has some posts from people with the new k7, they report a much improved focus system, if it compares with the D90 i dont know, but i doupt it.

i was tempted by the D300 as well, but in the end i decided to get the cheaper camera, that way i could get a couple of lenses right away.
from all that i have read , the D90 was better than the K20,
looking for some one here who has used both K7 and D90, too give a final input
i am really running out of time i only have till friday to pull the plug, help me please

Dave

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; Aug 4, 2009 at 6:12 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
the D300s sounds good , but on the calculator, goes too high.and i would have to wait till mid sept.

from all that i have read , the D90 was better than the K20,
looking for some one here who has used both K7 and D90, too give a final input
i am really running out of time i only have till friday to pull the plug, help me please

Dave

Dave
I'm not sure you'll have any luck finding someone invested in two systems, especially with two enthusiast level camera's. Really, if you could get out and handle both camera's, you would at least have an idea of ergonomics and how the cams handle.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I'm not sure you'll have any luck finding someone invested in two systems, especially with two enthusiast level camera's. Really, if you could get out and handle both camera's, you would at least have an idea of ergonomics and how the cams handle.

well i searched all over florida and no one i mean no one sell Pentax, when you ask ,it is like i am speeking some kind of alien language from some other galaxy, most reply Pentax, they still in business.
but nikon and canon, they are every where you go, even in countries that dont have any food.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
well i searched all over florida and no one i mean no one sell Pentax, when you ask ,it is like i am speeking some kind of alien language from some other galaxy, most reply Pentax, they still in business.
but nikon and canon, they are every where you go, even in countries that dont have any food.
That's one of the issues to consider when looking outside the big 2 (Canon and Nikon), although Sony's DSLR's are pretty widely available as well now, and something to consider when making a purchase. Pentax and Olympus cameras and accessories just aren't found in all stores where cameras are sold, especially since many of the local dealers are going out of business.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
That's one of the issues to consider when looking outside the big 2 (Canon and Nikon), although Sony's DSLR's are pretty widely available as well now, and something to consider when making a purchase. Pentax and Olympus cameras and accessories just aren't found in all stores where cameras are sold, especially since many of the local dealers are going out of business.
actually i was talking about when everything was good

Dave