Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:48 AM   #1

Default A Good Everyday Lens for D90

Hey everybody,

Last weekend I tripped and took a rather nasty fall, unfortunately so did my camera. I somehow managed to snap the kit lens completely off the body and now it won't even attach. So I was wondering what lens should I get for my d90 that is good for everyday shooting? I'm rather new to lens hunting/buying so this is definitely strange territory for me. For now, I'm just carrying around the p90. Can anybody help me?
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

That sounds painful.

I would get the mount on the camera checked for damage just in case there is a problem there as well.

What is your budget for a new lens as there are a wide range available.

Although you say that you want general photography is there anything you do more than anything else, situations where you found the kit lens to struggle etc?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:47 AM   #3

I use the Nikon 18-105mm lens as my walk around lens. It is relatively small, very sharp, in an excellent focal length range for my shooting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
That sounds painful.

I would get the mount on the camera checked for damage just in case there is a problem there as well.

What is your budget for a new lens as there are a wide range available.

Although you say that you want general photography is there anything you do more than anything else, situations where you found the kit lens to struggle etc?

Thankfully there is no damage to the mount. I had already broken the lens a few months back, guess the fall just finished it off.

As for my budget, I'm looking around $150-$200. Might go a little higher, it all depends. As for what my kit lens struggled with, it had problems taking wide shots. I liked the range, but it was definitely limited to what it could do. I shoot in a lot of abandoned buildings and found that the size was also a problem. Way too clunky.

mtclimber - The kit lens was 18-105 and though it is small for what it can do like I stated above it is a bit clunky for what I do. Plus, the price for getting a new lens like that is way out of my budget right now.
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Administrator

With a budget of $150 to $200, you're not going to have a lot of choices, especially if you didn't think 18mm was wide enough.

I'd probably go with a used Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S lens with your budget. On the downside, no VR. keh.com has some in stock now in the price range you're looking at.

Used Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S Lenses with hood and caps at keh.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphie View Post
Hey everybody,

Last weekend I tripped and took a rather nasty fall, unfortunately so did my camera. I somehow managed to snap the kit lens completely off the body and now it won't even attach. So I was wondering what lens should I get for my d90 that is good for everyday shooting? I'm rather new to lens hunting/buying so this is definitely strange territory for me. For now, I'm just carrying around the p90. Can anybody help me?
I have a D90 also. I sold the kit lens that came with the camera. I found that a great overall lens is my Sigma 18-200 w/ OS HSM. It works well on portraits and well on telephoto at 200mm end. Also the cost did not kill me.
DESIGNER29ER is offline   Reply With Quote