Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Nikon Lens Recommendations Please Help

I will be shooting indoor volleyball and basketball. I have done so in the past for Junior Olympic volleyball in poorly lit gyms from around the state, but now my one of my daughters has made the high school team. Yeah!!! I currently use a 85mm 1.8 and love it. I do find myself having to take pictures farther away than courtside and then get out of the focus range of the 85mm. I want to step it up a notch and get a 70-200 2.8 but wanted to know how much of a difference the Nikon vs a Sigma. This is a hobby for me and I do not make any money on it. I do not care about the price difference but wanted to know how much a of a difference there would be and if the double the cost would be worth it. Will the Sigma focus fast enough for the sport, is it as sharp as the Nikon. Please give me some detailed advise. I want to get the order in by the end of the week since school starts back on the 12th.

I use a Nikon D-90 and have the following lenses:
50mm 1.4 (good lens- but never use it)
85mm 1.8 (Indoor sports lens- love it!!) "Thanks JohnG for the advice"
18-105mm (Walk around lens- do not like, gonna get the 18-200 soon)
70-300mm (Soccer Lens-good daytime only and soft past 200mm)

Thanks again !!!!
theultimateguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The AF on the Sigma is fine but it is not as sharp as the Nikon. The good thing about the D90 is you have the option of ISO 6400 which you are likely to need as you are going to have 1.3x less light than with the f1.8.

I personally wouldn't replace the 18-105 with a 18-200 as it doesn't perform as well. What don't you like about the 18-105?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:52 PM   #3

So if you were choosing between the nikon 70-200 and the sigma which would you chose. Do you have one or the other? Pros and cons??
On the 18-105 I seem to always need a bit more zoom from time to time and alot of people say it is the best walkaround. But I have not tried it. I use the 105 mainly indoors (not sports) I guess I really need to buy and flash, the built on does not do what I need. I guess I will hold off on the 18-200. Thanks for the input.
theultimateguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm a Canon shooter but have had the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which is a good lens but not the best especially at the long end where it gets a bit soft. I've played with the Nikon on a D300 as a friend uses this but not done so in real anger and not in any difficult situations. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote