Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:07 PM   #1

Default 18-200 VR the worst I ever had

After serveral months of use I can say that this lens is the worst Nikkor I ever had. It makes vignetting at 200mm!!
Look at the upper right and left sides.
None at 18!!
The second example is near the same at 70mm.
Attached Images

Last edited by dstonek; Aug 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Add a second sample
dstonek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:07 PM   #2

The Nikkor 18-200mm lens at the very best is a compromise lens. You have to accept that fact. However, for a lot of folks, the convenience of the lens outweigh the lens deficiencies.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:49 PM   #3

Hello Sara,
I understand your point. Even though I can understand some vignetting on fisheyes or near them but I cannot understand it in fd=200
This is not the same kind of vignetting, it starts on both upper corners and gradates to the bottom ones.
Sorry for the irony, maybe I have to rotate the camera 180 and shot with my left thumb, then the vignetting may become less noticeable in bottom corners than in plain sky.
Regards,
Daniel
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4

daniel-

I have been a Nikon shooter for years. I thought that when I was able to snag a Nikon 18-200mm lens when they were so scarse, that i had something.

FALSE! It is an expensive lens that is very, very convenient, but not very good for all around use.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5

It's hardly surprising!!!!

An 11x zoom ratio is going to test any lens.

Suffice it to say that the Nikkor 18-200 is probably the best or second best in this type of zoom category. There are much worse lenses around, the Canon 18-200mm for example!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6

I have been a Nikon shooter for years. I thought that when I was able to snag a Nikon 18-200mm lens when they were so scarse, that i had something.

FALSE! It is an expensive lens that is very, very convenient, but not very good for all around use.

Sarah Joyce

Sorry Sarah, I disagree vehemently. I'm not a Nikon snob but I've been shooting with the 18-200 since I purchased it in April of 2007 and I don't experience that kind of vignetting. Just because you got a bad apple please don't condemn the entire crate.

I use my 18-200 as an all-purpose lens in addition to my Nikon 17-55 F2.8. I sell a ton of prints across various agencies, and other avenues and I've never had one not accepted for their catalog because of this type of problem.

Like I said maybe you got a bad one? I hope it works out for you and I'm sorry you are having these problems.
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:32 PM   #7

jmoro-

I am sure that everyone's impressions may indeed be quite different.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:39 AM   #8

It's certainly not a great lens optically, but it's nowhere near as bad as has been stated in this thread. Vignetting is expected to be a problem for an 11x zoom, and in my opinion (and in most reviews) is fairly well controlled. I've found it's about a 1/2 stop or less wide open, and even less in the middle of the zoom range. It does get a little worse again at 200mm. This will likely be made worse if you're using filters, especially at the wide end. I think the distortion is the biggest problem with this lens, although, again that's to be expected with this zoom range. I also think the build quality should be better for the price you pay, although Nikon has addressed this (namely the creep) in the new version of this lens soon to be released. All in all, this is one of the best lenses in it's class, and I've seen tons of great shots. This lens stays on one of my cameras all the time, and is a great carry everywhere option.

I don't think the images posted aren't great because of the lens...no offense, but they just aren't great images, and I don't think a different lens would have made a difference.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:26 AM   #9

Hello,
the purpose to upload those samples was to show the shadows on the edges, not to start a discussion about their image content.
Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:50 PM   #10

So the bottom line seems to be this-

It is indeed a compromise lens, but none the less a very convenient lens. For that singular reason alone it is still held in fairly high repute by Nikon fans.

Therefore, you have to take it as it is, and plead its IQ.

Sarah Joyce