Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses-62/)
-   -   Nikkor Wide Zooms (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-lenses/158816-nikkor-wide-zooms.html)

KDKarlson Aug 23, 2009 12:38 PM

Nikkor Wide Zooms

OK folks, I'm just getting back into photography after a long absence, and have picked up a D40 kit (with the 18-55) and a 70-300VR. I have been thinking about going with a little shorter lens next, and the two that catch my eye are:

A: Nikkor 10-24f3.5-4.5, 16.2 oz, ~$810 at B&H
B: Nikkor 12-24f4, 16.4 oz (if I did the math right, strange that Nikon would list one lens' weight in grams and another in oz. on their website), ~$940 at B&H

So I assume that when you are talking about lenses this short that 2mm is fairly significant. So is a fixed f4 worth trading 2mm on the short end? Is a variable f-stop of 3.5-4.5 that much of a detriment?

My apologies if this has been covered. I looked through the first 10 pages of threads and didn't find an answer to my questions.

Also, any hints on how to get the most out of a superwide? My shortest lens when shooting film was a 24f2.8D.

Thanks, all!

rjseeney Aug 23, 2009 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDKarlson (Post 994392)
OK folks, I'm just getting back into photography after a long absence, and have picked up a D40 kit (with the 18-55) and a 70-300VR. I have been thinking about going with a little shorter lens next, and the two that catch my eye are:

A: Nikkor 10-24f3.5-4.5, 16.2 oz, ~$810 at B&H
B: Nikkor 12-24f4, 16.4 oz (if I did the math right, strange that Nikon would list one lens' weight in grams and another in oz. on their website), ~$940 at B&H

So I assume that when you are talking about lenses this short that 2mm is fairly significant. So is a fixed f4 worth trading 2mm on the short end? Is a variable f-stop of 3.5-4.5 that much of a detriment?

My apologies if this has been covered. I looked through the first 10 pages of threads and didn't find an answer to my questions.

Also, any hints on how to get the most out of a superwide? My shortest lens when shooting film was a 24f2.8D.

Thanks, all!

I don't think constant, fast aperture is all that important with a lens this wide. Your DOF is large, even at bigger apertures, and you'll typically be shooting this lens stopped down anyway. I have a Sigma 10-20, and love it..it's very wide and a lot cheaper than the Nikkors. The key to using ultrawides is depth. Think foreground, middle, background, and there should be elements in each. Otherwise, you just have a wide, flat image.

KDKarlson Aug 23, 2009 1:51 PM

rj,

Do you have the f3.5 model or the f4-5.6?

mtclimber Aug 23, 2009 2:22 PM

The Nikon D-40 with the Nikon 12-24mm Lens

1 Attachment(s)
KDKarson-

I guess you have to call me the "traditionalist," I have the Nikon 12-24mm lens and have been very happy with it. This lens has great depth of field, so you must take advantage of it. Here is a photo sample.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

KDKarlson Aug 23, 2009 2:36 PM

Hi Sarah! Nice shot!

Can you explain what you mean by traditionalist? Do you mean you like the constant f-stop?

mtclimber Aug 23, 2009 3:24 PM

KDKarson-

I purchased my Nikon 12-24mm lens even before Tokina and Sigma had their wide zooms available. When I purchased, that was THE lens for Nikon. That was more than a few years ago.

Sarah Joyce

rjseeney Aug 23, 2009 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDKarlson (Post 994405)
rj,

Do you have the f3.5 model or the f4-5.6?

I have the older, f4-5.6 version

mtclimber Aug 23, 2009 4:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
KDKarlson-

A very interesting comparison. I have been working with a number of different cameras today. Because I have had some serious qualms about Panasonic producing a totally automatic camera in the ZS1/ZS3 series. I decided to test the ZS1 which has a 25mm wide angle against the D-40 camera with the Nikon 12-24mm lens that I took earlier. It was exactly the same photo scene.

I was sure it was going to be folly as there was no Exposure Compensation even available on the ZS1. None the less, I headed out on to the back deck in the very bright sunshine and had a hard time framing the photo on the sunshine smeared LCD. I stepped back inside so I could view the resulting photo.

Well, frankly, I was amazed! Here is an automatic camera priced at about $(US)225.00, that really does automatically take the photo while applying all of the need corrections automatically. I guess we have advanced farther and faster than I really believed.

Here is the photo.

Sarah Joyce

KDKarlson Oct 4, 2009 1:07 AM

So I ended up buying a Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5. If I can drag my lazy butt out of bed early tomorrow I'll give her a run through.

mtclimber Oct 6, 2009 7:47 AM

Congratulations, Kurt-

I am sure that you will like the lens. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce