Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:32 AM   #1

Default D60 Macro

Hey all. Im tired of my "Macro lens" (It's actually just a magnification glass of some lame sort).

The thing is. This jungle of lenses is hard to understand for me. Which lenses will have Auto-Focus or which ones will fit the D60...

Budget, around $400, is that enough? Don't care if it's a zoom or non-zoom lens. The APS-C lenses. do they work with D60?

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:33 AM   #2

All AF-S Nikkor lenses have a motor in them. So, for Macro work, from Nikon, there's the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED ($900) and the AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED ($530).

Sigma's HSM lenses can AF on your D60, but none of Sigma's Macro lenses are also HSM lenses, so you're out of luck there.

Tamron's BIM lenses can AF on your D60, but according to Tamron's website, the only Tamron Macro BIM lens is the SP AF60mm F2 Di II 1:1 Macro, and it hasn't been released yet.

Tokina doesn't have any lenses with motors, so the D60 can't AF with any of their lenses.

So it seems your lens choices are limited, and the ones that are available are outside your budget. I think your best bet, within your budget, is extension tubes ($170). Your 55-200 is sharp enough to do ok and the extension tubes will take care of the close focusing.

And, btw, Nikon's DX lenses, Sigma's DC lenses, Tamron's Di II lenses, and Tokina's DX lenses are designed for APS-C dSLRs (like your D60), and can't be used on FF dSLRs without significant vignetting. All the other lenses can be used with both FF and APS-C dSLRs.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:16 PM   #3

Ok, sorry in advance for bumping.

Which lens would you guys recommend to get for my D60, and now leave out the AF bit. since it's macro, it feels like AF is a bit hard to work with instead of being able to change the focus myself to get what I myself want to highlight in the picture, am I right?

so...if you got any idea, recommend what you got if you think it's of value to go buy

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:25 PM   #4

There are no "Bad" macro lenses. Pick one that fits what you wnat to shoot and how much you have to spend. If you wnat to shoot bugs, you may want something longer so you don't have to get too close, risking scaring away your subject.

And if lighting is an issue, you may want a longer lens so you can back away and not risk blocking your own light. But the longer the lens, the greater the chance that camera shake might result in motion blur.

In your price range, Adorama has the Sigma 50mm f/2.8, and the Tokina 35mm f/2.8 and 100mm f/2.8. Adorama also lists the Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 manual focus lens as a Macro lens, but I think this is a mistake.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote