Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2009, 1:56 PM   #1

Default manual lens for Nikon D90

I'm looking to buy a wide angle lens for my new D90, I already have a sigma 50mm prime lens but would like an older wide angle (not excessively wide) manual with fantastic optics. What do you recommend?
sawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:17 AM   #2

Why do you want an old manual focus lens. Generally speaking lens design has improved over time so a newer lens should give you better results. Obviously cost is a factor.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
... would like an older wide angle (not excessively wide) manual with fantastic optics. ...
I don't think you'll find one. To start with, all of the "older" lenses were made for full frame film. When you take the D90's crop factor into account, few of the old WA lenses give a wide angle field of view. The few that would (18-20mm) don't seem to get good reports when used on digital.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:20 AM   #4

many reports I've read (kenrockwell etc) recommend the older optics. I also prefer to focus myself, it gives me more control.

However I have just bought a very cheap yet immaculate NIKON 28-80MM F3.3-5.6 G ZOOM LENS, so I'm hoping it will work on my D90.

Will get a 20mm nikon prime next. I intend in a few years to get a full frame camera so the Nikon will do till then. I'll just get used to the crop factor and take it into consideration with the shot. Does this mean that you only get part of the image you see in the viewfinder when you look at your shots?
sawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
... Does this mean that you only get part of the image you see in the viewfinder when you look at your shots?
No. The scene you see in the viewfinder will be the scene you capture (roughly.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:12 PM   #6

Quote:
many reports I've read (kenrockwell etc) recommend the older optics. I also prefer to focus myself, it gives me more control.

However I have just bought a very cheap yet immaculate NIKON 28-80MM F3.3-5.6 G ZOOM LENS, so I'm hoping it will work on my D90.

Will get a 20mm nikon prime next. I intend in a few years to get a full frame camera so the Nikon will do till then. I'll just get used to the crop factor and take it into consideration with the shot. Does this mean that you only get part of the image you see in the viewfinder when you look at your shots?
Make sure you check out other reviews besides Rockwell's. He tends to be very opinionated and he often contradicts himself. Check out www.bythom.com for objective lens reviews, as well as http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

I wouldn't classify older lenses better across the board. Newer lenses have been designed specifically for digital camera's and will provide better functionality. Modern lenses can also be focused manually. Understand the the smaller viewfinders in DSLR's can make manual focus more difficult.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote