Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 11, 2009, 1:31 AM   #1

Default Nikon's repair service, can it get any worse?

I wonder if anyone else went through what I did? I am sending the story below to their corporate office, for all that is worth. But I need a place to vent...

When I look back on what I went through with the people at Nikon repair and customer service, I can’t even believe this happened. The Nikon people in both departments seem to be incapable of telling the truth. EVERYONE, I spoke to lied to me. There is just no other way to say it. On the third week of September, I sent them an 18-55 kit lens from a d40 still under the 1 year warranty. The lens would not turn. Hey things breakdown, that’s ok. But what followed over nearly the next 2 months, I would never have expected. They told me that they try to get it back to the customer in about 7-10 days (LIE #1). Nearly three weeks go by with no email from Nikon as to why. So I called to check on the status and the told me the parts are back ordered and they don’t know when it will come in but will get me a date and send me an email. This was on a Friday. On Monday October 19th, I get an email that the two parts are expected on October 19th and 21st (LIE #2) and I should receive it about 7-10 days after that (LIE #3).

So….almost two weeks go by and I call repair. This time I figured that I better start getting names. I speak with Alex on a Tuesday and that it’s being sent UPS and I should look for it Friday (LIE #4). If I don’t get it by Monday I should call them. Well, in order to get a package from New York to Florida 4 days later, it would have to have already been on it’s way by UPS. Of course Monday comes around, no lens. I call back. (By the way, we are now at the end of October.) I speak with Raul, he said that the parts are on back order (still) and couldn’t understand why Alex told me this. He puts me on hold, I assume to discuss this with Alex. Raul apologizes and tells me the parts should be coming in November 10th. At this point I’m angry and ask to speak to someone above him or as to whom I can email or write to about the way I have been treated. He says that there isn’t anyone. So I leave it at that and decide to take a different approach.

I call the Nikon 800# and hit zero, and the customer service person informs me that Nikon does not have an email to write to (uh-huh). He puts me through to a customer relations supervisor, Vanessa who looks over my case and tells me that the parts are coming in the 10th and the 21st of November and that they should not have told you that there was nobody else to talk to. She tells me that since it’s late Friday the email she is sending may not be read until Monday. If I don’t hear anything by then I can call her back on Tuesday (as she was off on Monday). She also said she would make sure, it would be sent overnight to me.

Monday came and I receive an email that can best be described as both strange and annoying. ”We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 96 hours but you can re-open the case any time by using the link below.” How can the issue be resolved if I still don’t have the lens? What is the purpose of passing along my situation if nobody bothers to read it? So, it’s Tuesday November 10th. I called back Nikon and asked for Vennessa. The person in customer relations who answered the phone informed me that it was sent to me and I should look for it today or possibly tomorrow (LIE #5).

The only reason I am getting my lens sent to me this week was because of my call to Vanessa. Had I not done so, I probably would not be receiving it until sometime in December after the parts come in late November (assuming that date wasn't a lie as well, and I have no reason to believe that date was real). It truly amazes me that kit lens from one of there popular DSLRs would take this long to repair. I offered to pay for an upgraded lens even a refurbished one as a trade in or maybe an sb-600 flash. They did inform that they don’t have an upgrade program. And that idea was turned down. To be fair I would have been surprised if they would have done that. But I had to ask.

I checked with UPS and it will be here Friday….I hope.

In case anyone at Nikon is listening, my repair order# is 5151560. Although I imagine with the horrible service I received, they're not really concerned and are probably having a good laugh over coffee.

Last edited by gregg; Nov 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:52 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Dissapointing to here, but alas, not that unusual. I had a similar experience with Pentax's warranty service a few years back and had to speak to a number of people before I got any attention. Recent reports however are that things are much improved. With your situation, I would have thought they would simply have sent you a new lens, especially considering it was the kit lens which is not very expensive to begin with.

I hope folks from Nikon monitor forums such as these--lost goodwill is usually much more costly than the cost (not the price) of the product.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:34 PM   #3

and discontinued...well, the person i spoke with said they fixed it...which would indicate that they were lying about the parts being backorderd. Then today i got an email from Vanessa saying that a replacement lens is beings sent.

...hmmmmm...maybe one with vr? somehow i doubt that
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:00 AM   #4

Hey, Gregg, sorry to hear about your problem with Nikon. Other than that, how are you? Don't be a stranger, post some pics once in awhile. Still in Florida?

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:45 AM   #5

I'm doing fine. and you?

here's a link to photos I posted

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ni...ml#post1019240
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6

Go Bucs! Now that they've beaten Green Bay, maybe their season will begin...

Nice pics, I would love to be able to shoot their practice session, I bet that was a hoot. Last pic especially nice. Hope everything goes well with Nikon...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:24 AM   #7

I'm very sorry to hear of your bad service from Nikon U.S.A.
I thought things were good with Nikon in the U.S.A, owing to the fact that they didn't charge for the returns of the D5000, as we had to pay our own postage here in the UK. However I have sent back my D40 twice and my D5000 once(recall) and both times they have been excellent, I have been able to talk to the repair section and discuss my problems and the turn around has been quick, the D5000 8 days, they inform you that 10 days being normal and it seems correct.
I guess the size of the U.S.A. market sometimes works against it but the upside is you do tend to pay less for most products compared to us.
Still bad show Nikon U.S.A. especially in the current economic climate.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:24 PM   #8

8 days to england? wow

i just got my lens on monday november 16th

they replaced it with a brand new one

I am convinced that had I not complained to a different department it would still be there and they would still be telling me that they were waiting for parts with more imaginary dates
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:35 AM   #9

I delivered my D3 and 200/400 to Nikon's repair centre at the end of the season saying I didn't need them for three weeks. The camera for a clean and the 200/400 for a back-focus issue. Five days later I received an email saying all was ready to be despatched but I was on holiday so contacted them when I got back. The parcel, complete with new 200/400 free case was delivered a few days later and the bill came to $180. I don't think one can get better service than that. Big bouquet Nikon.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:37 AM   #10

In general I think Nikon does a pretty good job at service. I've only used it once, with a 70-300vr lens that was suffering from ghosting and focus problems after being dropped. It was repaired under warranty, and the repair took about 3 1/2 weeks. The status was regularly updated on the website, so i always knew what was going on and where in the process the repair was.

My experience was very good, and required no extra effort on my part. Others have not been so lucky. Thom Hogan has a summary of repair experiences here http://www.bythom.com/experiencesrepair.htm.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote