Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:15 AM   #1

Default Question on Tokina 100-300/4

I just got ahold of a Tokina 100-300/4, and have been very pleased with it, but it does some strange things occasionally, and I don't have the instruction manual for it. (If you know where I could download the manual for it, I'd appreciate the link. It's the one with the red ring and the clip-on lens hood.)

Ocassionally, I somehow mistakenly rotate the aperture ring, and the camera settings go haywire. The other lenses I have (Nikon 85/1.8 and 50/1.8) have a Minimum Aperture Lock Lever that keeps the aperture ring from rotating. This lens has a small switch that seems like it should do the same thing, but it doesn't. In fact, it doesn't seem to have any function at all except to expose the green paint below it.

I'd be pleased if someone could give me an idea as to what's going on, how to fix it, and what that switch is for.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:22 PM   #2

I called THK Photo Products to find out what I could do. It turns out that the switch is to lock the aperture ring, but it's broken. It's about a $1 part that they'd have mailed to me, except for the second problem. The 100-300/4 has a problem with the D90 (maybe not just the D90.) The tech I talked to said there was a fix, and called it a "D90 upgrade". Apparently there's a surface mount capacitor that they can replace that fixes the problem. The total repair should be about $90.

When it was good, it was very, very, good, but when it was bad, it was horrid. So my Tokina 100-300mm f/4.0 is off to Huntington Beach, CA, for the fix.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote