Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:48 PM   #11
Administrator

One other possible explanation....

That's a relatively bright lens (f/3.5 on it's wider end, dropping down to f/4.5 on it's longer end). But, in borderline lighting, the little extra light getting through to the AF sensors on the wider end may allow it to Autofocus, where it may struggle to Autofocus as you zoom in more (since the lens gets dimmer as you zoom in more).

I'd ask if he tried it in outdoors in daylight, to make sure he's not just seeing normal behavior if he's trying to use it in a dim room or something.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:03 PM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sounds suspicious. I'd take the high road and offer to give him his money back. This will make him whole and would preserve your reputation in the market place. Of course if he is making an attempt to get some money out of you, your offer to give him a refund would prevent him from achieving his (malicious) goal. If the item was legitimately damaged in shipping, an insurance claim (if you purchased insurance) could help here. I know that UPS offers $100 in free insurance on all packages shipped through them.

Re. Hawgwild's comments about Craig's List, I've had plenty success with it since I can see the gear and test it out before handing over cash. Just bougt an almost new Sekonic L348 light meter for about 30% off market price this past Sunday. Had much better success in selling photo gear on it as well. I've given up on e-bay as an honest place to trade!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:07 PM   #13

I do appreciate all your input. I will offer to refund the money, and that after I'll get the lens back. The lens worked fine in my FujiS2 Pro. The item was sold on Amazon.com, btw.
miniion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniion View Post
I do appreciate all your input. I will offer to refund the money, and that after I'll get the lens back. The lens worked fine in my FujiS2 Pro. The item was sold on Amazon.com, btw.
Sorry about that! I still don't completely trust E Bay.... I do hope everything turns out good for you!

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:15 PM   #15

Thanks for your quick replies. I hope so too ! I am e-mailing him right now and offering to refund the money back.
miniion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 5:25 PM   #16

... and get the tracking number!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 9:46 AM   #17

I sincerely believe that Robert's approach to the problem is best-

On E-Bay the only thread connecting buyer and seller is in reality an e-mail message. It is very hard to discern, what is fact and what is pure BS. So I would have the buyer return the lens to you for examination and determination. That is the only sure way to protect yourself.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I sincerely believe that Robert's approach to the problem is best-

On E-Bay the only thread connecting buyer and seller is in reality an e-mail message. It is very hard to discern, what is fact and what is pure BS. So I would have the buyer return the lens to you for examination and determination. That is the only sure way to protect yourself.

Sarah Joyce
Ideally the money should be placed in an escrow account to protect the seller and the buyer. I imagine if the buyer is telling the truth, he'd be reluctant to return the lens in the fear his money wouldn't be returned. Escrow would insure both parties are protected.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:19 PM   #19

eBay is based, to a large extent, on trust.
  • The seller lists something.
  • The buyer bids on it, trusting that the ittem was accuratly described.
  • The buyer pays for the item, trusting that the seller will ship the item.
  • The seller trusts the shipper to deliver the item to the buyer.
  • If the buyer has a complaint:
    • The buyer trusts that the seller will take the complaint seriously.
    • The seller trusts that the buyer's complaint is genuine.
    • Together, they agree on a resolution.
Failing that, eBay does have multiple methods of complaint resolution, as does PayPal.

The issue is whether or not the buyer is attempting to take advantage of the sellers trust. If it were my lens, and the buyer wasn't satisfied because of some problem I was not aware of, I would want the lens returned to me, so I could confirm the problem, before I went any further. I'd only settle for a reduced price AFTER I had confirmed the problem.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:46 PM   #20

TCav-

I agree 100%.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote