Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:16 PM   #1

Default Lens/Camera Question

Hi. I am new to DSLR's and this forum. I just purchased a Nikon D5000 for my wife for Christmas. I plan on using this camera too. It came with a 18-55 mm VR zoom lens. I also purchased a Nikkor Lens by Nikon that is 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED. Is this a good lens? I have no idea what the f-stop numbers mean so don't hold back. If I made a mistake I would like to know. I plan on using it to photograph my kids at their baseball games. Hopefully to get some good pitching and hitting shots.

This is my first journey into DSLR photography, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

wolverines
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:56 PM   #2

the nikon 55-200mm lens is a good general purpose lens. It may be a little short on the zoom against a nikon 70-300mm which can bring you closer to the action outdoors.

Fstop are how wide or narrow the aperture opening is. The smaller the f number the brighter the lens become. F 1.8 is brighter the F 4.

You may want to check out this site, there are helpful youtube workshops on techniques for new dslr owners. www.dslrtips.com
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

It's a very good performing lens. It might be a little short for getting the shots you want but that will depend on how close you are able to get to the action. With 200mm you will want to be within 25 yards of the players you want to photograph.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:12 PM   #4

Default question

So when you say the lens is brighter. Do you mean that it lets in more light so your pictures aren't dark? Meaning that when I purchase my next lens, I should look for an f# that is less than 4?

Thanks for your help.
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:18 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The aperture (f stop) relates to how much light is let into the camera. The wider the aperture (smaller f number) the more light let in. The doesn't mean you won't get a good exposure but you will need a slower shutter speed or a higher ISO to get the exposure correct.

This will help a bit more, and I would look at the other links in the first paragraph that go through the basics of exposure.

http://www.diyphotography.net/aperture
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote