Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 1, 2010, 6:18 PM   #1

Default Nikon 18-55 kit lens upgrade? Advice?

I dropped my 18-55mm today and broke it (won't attach to the camera now). I'm wondering, rather that replace it if I should upgrade to something better. A faster zoom with lower f stop or VR maybe. Or perhaps a 50mm f1.8 and something wide angle - 12-24, 10-20 etc. instead of the 18-55 zoom? Advice is appriciated.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:15 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your accident.

What do you want to shoot?

There are some stabilized, large aperture, standard zooms out there, but unfortunately, the jury's stillout on most of them. The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM is faster and sharper than the Nikon kit lens, and it costs ~$300. If you want to forego the stabilization, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Sigma 18-50/2.8 and 17-70/2.8-4.0 are all excellent.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:54 PM   #3

Default Depends on what you want to shoot and what you have got

Sorry to hear about the lens. It is a nice little lens considering it is a kit lens. Assuming that was your only lens, then I would think you should consider one of the lens discussed above, the AF-S nikkor 35mm f/1.8 or if you have money to burn 18-200mm Superzoom from Nikon, Tamron (18-270mm) or Sigma.

I recently wrote a blog entry at my site that talks about what I shoot and why. I hope this is informative.
http://www.wearephotographers.com/node/447

Regards,

Steve
@wearephotogs
sterlizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:04 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i would not buy the superzooms (18-200, 18-270) etc unless you are willing to sacrifice some quality for convenience. in certain circumstances then yes, its a worthwhile tradeoff, but be sure you are willing to make that tradeoff.

you should have some kind of normal zoom. as they are quite useful for general purpose shooting. so replacing it with a fixed prime is not a real option, replacing it and later getting a prime is a good option, as it is nice to have both.

I agree with TCAV's suggestions as those are the ones I would be looking into as well if i were in your position.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the sympathy, I am kicking myself for my clusmy carelessness, it was a nice little lens and I really liked it. Thanks for the suggestions, you are right, I do not want a super zoom, just want to come close to covering the range it did, but thought it was a good chance to upgrade the pics by bettering the zoom or getting primes. But you are right the zoom is way convenient, though I would put up with a little hassle for better pics. I will look into the two zooms you recommended. Does one seem to stand out over the other? And will they show a noticable improvement over my kit lens or should I just replace it and save the $$$ towards my body upgrade?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:09 AM   #6

Money is always better spent on better lenses than on better bodies.

While the Nikon kit lens you had was good, the lenses I mentioned will produce noticeably better results, and by virtue of their larger maximum apertures, will give you more flexibility as well.

And if you don't care about stabilization and want to save some money, there's always the used market. KEH, Adorama and B&H are good sources
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:02 PM   #7

Thank you for the help. Knowing that the lenses you recommend will bring a noticable differance in the pics, I will look around for one of them used rather than replace the broken one. Pretty excited to have a new tool to play with!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
... Pretty excited to have a new tool to play with!
That's always fun.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:09 PM   #9

Ah man I always hate when I drop and break something
photograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Thank you for the help. Knowing that the lenses you recommend will bring a noticable differance in the pics, I will look around for one of them used rather than replace the broken one. Pretty excited to have a new tool to play with!
Good hunting. Can you tell us what you've ended up with and why? I'll be looking for new lenses in the "near" future so it would be nice to know.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote