Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:11 AM   #1

Default D90 + ____ kit?

Planning to get a D90 and some lenses. My other lenses are manual and Non-AI so it's a fresh start

I've narrowed it down to:

1) 18-55 VR and 70-300 VR.
OR
2) 18-200 VR II

Does the 70-300 have a sticky zoom?
I'm leaning towards #1 but the 18-200 seems good as well. Suggestions?

Last edited by NothingRare; Jan 20, 2010 at 3:14 AM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2010, 4:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It's a mixed bag with these options. Generally I would say without thinking to go for the 2 lens option as lenses with a really large zoom range have more 'flaws', however the 70-300 does have a bit of a problem with Chromatic Aberrations from all the reviews I've seen. However the 2 lens option would still be my choice just wanted to let you know that both options are not perfect but pretty good.

Now, something that is very important before going any further is to find out the sort of things you want to shoot and in what environments as neither might be right.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:29 AM   #3

As Mark has said, the 70-300 VR has more CA than the 18-200. But by every other measure, the 70-300 VR is better than the 18-200 (where their ranges overlap.) The 70-300 VR is sharper, and has less vignetting and distortion.

The 18-200 is convenient, and Nikon is to be congratulated for making such a good superzoon lens, but it's still not as good as seperate lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges.

SLRGear.com Reviews:

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor (Tested)
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR Nikkor (Tested)
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR II Nikkor (Tested)

PhotoZone.de Reviews:

Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II DX
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:31 AM   #4

It really depends on what you're shooting. The 70-300 is good. I had a bad copy that I hated until I decided to send it in for repair, and it now works fine. I'm still not real happy with images at full zoom..once you get past about 250mm, CA doe become noticeable, and despite Vr, it is not easy to handhold, so you really have to focus on technique. I'm not sure what you mean by "sticky" zoom...I've never had any issues with the zoom not being smooth, and haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. The lens is highly regarded by most.

The 18-200 is also a solid lens. Yes there are distortions (which really only show up if you are shooting brick walls, architecture or test charts) and are somewhat avoidable (at least lessened) if you stay away from the extremes. It stays on my D5k for everyday use. I've made 16x20 prints with this lens which have turned out very nice. You do have to understand it's limitations, but once you do, I think the lens is fine.

If you need the extra reach, option 1 is the best in terms of range and image quality. However, remember in terms of IQ, (unless you constantly pixel peep) at normal print sizes and viewing sizes, differences will be minimal.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "sticky" zoom...I've never had any issues with the zoom not being smooth, and haven't heard of anyone else having this issue.
Both Ken Rockwell and bythom.com say it's difficult to zoom smoothly but I'm also going to be using this for video. Can anybody confirm smoothness?
Also, Ken says "Air blows out my camera eyepiece as I zoom." Isn't the viewfinder sealed?

Last edited by NothingRare; Jan 20, 2010 at 8:47 PM.
NothingRare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
Both Ken Rockwell and bythom.com say it's difficult to zoom smoothly. I'm probably going to be using this for video also.
A dSLR is not a good video camera. As you zoom, the focus often changes even if the subject is stationary, and the D90 will not refocus while a video is being recorded. A camcorder will do a better job, and is a lot smaller and lighter.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingRare View Post
Both Ken Rockwell and bythom.com say it's difficult to zoom smoothly but I'm also going to be using this for video. Can anybody confirm smoothness?
Also, Ken says "Air blows out my camera eyepiece as I zoom." Isn't the
viewfinder sealed?
Nikon got a lot of complaints about zoom creep in the 18-200 and apparently tightened things up on this lens. I don't find it to be sticky or not smooth.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:50 PM   #8

I was out with my Son in Law recently, he has an Olympus two lens outfit.
We spotted a Stag perfectly poised in the sunlight by a tree . He opened his bag took out his long lens ,gave it to me to hold while he took off his short lens. I put his rear lens cap onto his short lens while he put the long lens onto his body .He raised his camera just in time to see the Stagg disappearing over a hill. I took my shot earlier while he was getting his long lens out.
That's why I'm a fan of the 18-200 V R lens. By the way I get virtually no creep and certainly no stickyness whatever that is. I agree with all that RJSeeney has said.
If it was stolen, I would buy another, although there may well be some third party options that are equal or better but I would stay with what I know, as I have been let down by a third party lens before.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:59 AM   #9

There is no way to really answer this without knowing what you plan on using the D90 for. For example, are you taking mostly outdoor shots, or will you be taking pictures of kids playing outdoor soccer or indoor basketball.

Can you tell us what you be shotting mostly?
barryg9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:08 AM   #10

Also might want to factor in how much gear you want to slepp around. Example, for a family with little kids and babies that move around with allot of stuff. Carrying an extra lens may add allot of inconvenience and extra packing. And the one lens solution is more suite for their needs.

For someone that do not have extra packing to worry about, and do not want to sacrifice the IQ, the 2 lens solution would be better.

Knowing you situation would help the board give you a better course of action.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 13, 2010 at 3:16 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote