Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 688
Default Hoya filter

What is the difference between
hoya hmc uv (c)
hoya hmc uv (0)

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
What is the difference between
hoya hmc uv (c)
hoya hmc uv (0)

Dave
hoya hmc uv (c) is a copyrighted filter(?)

hoya hmc uv (c) is a hoya hmc uv (o) with the right side of the "o" worn off(?)

UV(0) filters are basic UV filters. UV Filters are also available in UV(A), UV(B) and UV(C). UV-A is the closest to visible light, and since filters aren't perfect, a UV(A) filter will also block some visible violet light as well as UV-A light. A UV(B) filter will block less violet light, and a UV(C) filter will block UV-C light but no violet light; it will, however, pass some UV-A and UV-B light as well.

Also, Hoya uses "UVC" to highlight their use of a UV protected filter case, protecting its filters from the harmful effects of UV light.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
deadshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hertfordshire UK
Posts: 759
Default

I recently got confused over what hoya filter did what . HMC UV, Super HMC UV, etc so I contacted Hoya and was told that there has been a lot of confusion over these things so they have made them into the Pro 1.DMC.UV. Which they told me was exactly the same as the Super HMC but they have a filter which is one up from that??? but would only be of any use to anyone who had a lens costing mega bucks, apparently with my 18-200 it wouldn't make any difference. The Pro 1 cost me the equivalent of $80, the dearer one was approx $100 +.
You would pay less as we always get stitched up in the U.K for some reason.
__________________
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
I recently got confused over what hoya filter did what . HMC UV, Super HMC UV, etc so I contacted Hoya and was told that there has been a lot of confusion over these things so they have made them into the Pro 1.DMC.UV. Which they told me was exactly the same as the Super HMC but they have a filter which is one up from that??? but would only be of any use to anyone who had a lens costing mega bucks, apparently with my 18-200 it wouldn't make any difference. The Pro 1 cost me the equivalent of $80, the dearer one was approx $100 +.
You would pay less as we always get stitched up in the U.K for some reason.

i ended up ordering the Hoya pro 1 DMC
i see you have the slr gorillapod
how efective is it ?

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

The Gorillapod SLR Zoom is a better deal, you get a ball head with the gorillapod. It will support my canon T1i with the canon ef 70-300mm lens, just make sure that you put one of the legs directly under the lens if you want to use it as a tripod. But if you have it wrap, it will have no problem holding the weight of my heaviest setup with the 70-300mm lens.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 688
Default

was just going over DP review and once again there is a reviewer, who claims
that putting a filter on your lens would degrade image quality

what's you'll views on this

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The Gorillapod SLR Zoom is a better deal, you get a ball head with the gorillapod. It will support my canon T1i with the canon ef 70-300mm lens, just make sure that you put one of the legs directly under the lens if you want to use it as a tripod. But if you have it wrap, it will have no problem holding the weight of my heaviest setup with the 70-300mm lens.

Thanks
me, i could never see my self deliberately walking around with a tripod. its way too big and combersome, tried a monopod, still cant figure out how to use it. the gorilla pod maybe, i have my eyes on it for a while now.

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

I am in the don't use UV filter group. No need for UV filter in DSLR. If you want to protect you lens, get a hood, or go with a clear or a ND filter like a Haze 1.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I am in the don't use UV filter group. No need for UV filter in DSLR. If you want to protect you lens, get a hood, or go with a clear or a ND filter like a Haze 1.

i have heard so many + & - , about if one should or not use a protective filter,
i ordered the hoya p1dmc for mainly, at the beach, windy areas etc.

but i would like to start a poll and see what the results turn out like.
maybe JimC could help me start this poll

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

At the beach I use a haze 1 filter personally for seaspray and sand protections.

I uses to use UV filters, but that was only because I was shooting flim.

It is pretty easy to set up a poll. Just start a new thread and have polls check, then start the thread, post it, and then it will give you the poll options and how many opinion you are looking for. Hope that helps.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.