Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Low Light - Lens For Fun - Suggestions

I just purchased a Sb600 flash for my Nikon.

Now I am looking for an affordable option for low light shots. For situations like get together's and parties

Someone suggested I start with a prime such as:

35mm F/1.8 approx. $210.00

or a

50mm f/1.8 approx. $150.00

What do you think?
Breanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the 35mm focal length on a crop body is probably more useful for get-togethers and parties. 50mm can get kind of tight on a crop body, especially in close quarters or for group pictures.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:22 PM   #3
Administrator

I moved your thread down to our Nikon Lenses Forum (the add-on lenses forum you posted in is designed for point and shoot cameras).

As Hards80 pointed out, I'd probably grab the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. It's going to be a more useful focal length on a body with an APS-C size sensor (you can always move closer with your feet, but you can only back up so far in many indoor spaces, limiting what you may be able to fit into the frame with a lens like the 50mm you're looking at).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the help!!

I figured the 35mm would be better but that was beacause of the price. I figure the more expensive is probably the better one =)
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:33 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

In case you decide on the 50mm, I tried the f/1.8 and was dissapointed by the lack of sharpness when used wide open. I found that I had to get down to f/2.8 before I considered the images usable. I returned the f/1.8 and got the f/1.4 instead (about $150 more). Note this is the 50mm f/1.4 D and not the AF-S version. Big difference in wide open performance and worth the extra bucks. While not the Silent Wave Motor focusing, it is quiet and fast.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:07 PM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

Another option you may want to look at (although it's going to cost more) is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. That would give you an even wider angle of view (and a brighter lens with wider available apertures if you ever needed it when you can't use a flash). It's around $439 now at most online vendors.

Or, if you want something even wider, and budget is not a concern (and you can wait until it's shipping), Nikon just announced a new Nikkor AF-S 24mm f/1.4G for a bargain price of only $2199. ;-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...de_lenses.html
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:01 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I bought the 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor last night.

Please don't put any other options because I might regret my purchase =) Just Kidding.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:11 PM   #8
Administrator

Awww... At only $2199, the new Nikkor AF-S 24mm f/1.4G is a super bargain.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...2F1.4G-ED.html

Give it a bit of time after it starts showing up on dealer shelves, and you may find dealers discounting it (i.e., perhaps you can find one for only $1899 instead).
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:14 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breanna View Post
Thank you everyone for the ideas. I bought the 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor last night..
All kidding aside. That's what I'd get (the 35mm f/1.8) if looking for a decent prime for indoor use without breaking the bank. I think you'll find it to be a more useful focal length compared to something like a 50mm on a body using an APS-C size sensor. Congrats, and please let us know how you like it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:33 PM   #10

Yeah I totally would love the 70-200mm f/2.8 but that is not within my budget right now =(

I have played with the new lens for a few moments, outside at sunset and inside in low light.

I love it already, but I need to work with it a lot more before I get the idea.

Thanks ALL!!!