Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Tokina 50-135

i recently came accross this lens and my pocket is scratching once again.
so can any of you guys share some input on this lens.
i once owned a pentax DA* 50-135, which was a beauty, any comparisons will be appreciated
a comparison Sigma 50-150 vs Tokina 50-135

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; Feb 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM.
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:32 PM   #2

See the test results at PhotoZone.de:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...report--review
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
See the test results at PhotoZone.de:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...report--review
thanks for that
though i am looking for some personal reviews

Dave
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
thanks for that
though i am looking for some personal reviews

Dave
I have the Sigma 50-150. I haven't used the tokina, but ultimately chose the sigma based on the extra range, and HSM focus motor. It gets very good reviews, and I'm happy with the images and speed. I use it mostly for indoor sports and have used it on a D5k, D300 and D80, typically wide open. The build quality is also excellent. It is also a lighter than the tokina. I wish it had VR, and it doesn't have a tripod collar, but i typically handhold it anyway. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one. The sigma does seem to have a problem with sample variation. I haven't had any issues with mine, but it does seem to be an issue.

Last edited by rjseeney; Feb 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I have the Sigma 50-150. I haven't used the tokina, but ultimately chose the sigma based on the extra range, and HSM focus motor. It gets very good reviews, and I'm happy with the images and speed. I use it mostly for indoor sports and have used it on a D5k, D300 and D80, typically wide open. The build quality is also excellent.

i see that sigma has a newer version,
any comment
what bugs me a lot, about Sigma, is that they seem to have a serious quality control issue, after reading some reviews on their lenses it sometime sums up to that one in 3 lenses has to be sent back for some reason. its like they assemble their lenses, pelt them in a box and hope the consumer dont complain.

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; Feb 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
i see that sigma has a newer version,
any comment
what bugs me a lot, about Sigma, is that they seem to have a serious quality control issue, after reading some reviews on their lenses it sometime sums up to that one in 3 lenses has to be sent back for some reason. its like they assemble their lenses, pelt them in a box and hope the consumer dont complain.

Dave
I don't know anything about the new version, I'm not even sure it's available yet. Looking at the website, it appears the big difference is the close focus distance has improved. In terms of quality control, it has not just been an issue with Sigma. Tamron has also had problems. For me, my worst performing lens out of the box was my Nikon 70-300Vr. It had serious ghosting, and the VR mechanism was faulty. It was nearly unusable over 150mm. I sent it back to have it checked out on a whim, and it was a bad copy. It got repaired and now works great.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
I don't know anything about the new version, I'm not even sure it's available yet. Looking at the website, it appears the big difference is the close focus distance has improved. In terms of quality control, it has not just been an issue with Sigma. Tamron has also had problems. For me, my worst performing lens out of the box was my Nikon 70-300Vr. It had serious ghosting, and the VR mechanism was faulty. It was nearly unusable over 150mm. I sent it back to have it checked out on a whim, and it was a bad copy. It got repaired and now works great.

this is my point, where has QC gone.
it seems to me that manufactures today, just dont care, they make something throw it as hard as possible into a box , sell it and hope the consumer down the road who does not know any better, and makes no complaint.
look at the new nikon 70-200, look at that price tag and look at how many went back.
any way, strange thing though. i have bought many lenses over the web and never had a problem, or i dont know what to look for, but they all worked great.

Dave
T&T
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:43 PM   #8

I own this lens (Tokina). It is one incredible lens. Very sharp at almost any focal length or aperture. Yes the range is a little short but I am very pleased I have it and will probably never sell it.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote