Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Sigma VS. Nikkor Lens Question

These lenses were talked about in another topic so I thought I would post it in a new topic to get it some new looks and opinions.

The Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens vs. the Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens.Do you think the Sigma lens outperforms the Nikkor lens and if so, do you think the extra price of the Sigma lens is worth the performance? I'm pretty new to photography and I know I can't spend $2100 on a lens but does the $439 lens justify itself performance-wise over the $200 Nikkor lens. I am looking to use the lens to take pics of my kids inside the house or at family gatherings. Mostly just a "go-to" type of lens for everyday pics.

Thanks so much for your time!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2

See Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Nikkor (Tested) and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM (Tested)

I'd say that, in all other respects, they are equally good, but the Nikon is sharper at larger apertures. So unless you really need the extra 2/3 f-stop or the extra 6 of angle of view, I think you should save your money.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:01 PM   #3
NHL

Actually the Sigma equals the Nikon 35mm in sharpness if you close it down to the same aperture (move the aperture slider on the blur index chart), plus the 30mm is slighly wider so if you crop your image back to the same angle of coverage as the Nikkor they are pretty even...

You get what you pay for as the Sigma does get you a faster aperture and wider angle of view

Last edited by NHL; Feb 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:19 PM   #4

Wide open, and at f/2.0 and f/2.8, the Nikon is sharper. It's not until you get to f/4.0 that they are about equal. And if you want a large aperture lens, I think you'd want it to perform well at the large apertures.

But, again, if the 2/3 stop and/or the 15% wider angle of view is important to you then go for the Sigma.

But for what the Sigma costs, you could buy the Nikon plus 85 gallons of gas.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and opinions. I really appreciate it. I think I will pick up the the Nikkor and put what I save on an external flash.

Thanks again!!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote